Maggie is Kidding - Help? **Baby Pics

Laney

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi all,

I came over from BYC for the help. I'm usually OK with the goats, but I've never had one Kid before.

Maggie should be an old pro at this. This is her third time - first with us. Her first time she had triplets, second she had twins. Due to the fact that she is now wider than she is tall (pygmy) I'm definitely guessing multiples this time also.

I believe that she has been in labor since at least midnight last night when my husband saw something hanging off of her vulva. Today when I checked her, I can see what I believe to be her bag of waters pressing outside of her vulva when she is lying down, but it returns back in and closes up when she stands. She seems comfortable, but HOT. It's in the high 90's to 100 today. She's been hugging the shade, but also getting up to eat (that's what she's doing right now, eating).

How long do I wait for her water to break? I know once that happens the baby/babies will be born relatively quickly. I've got the vet on notice that I have a goat in labor. Our other goat that is due this week shows no signs that she is going in the next 24hrs or so.

Thanks for any help,
Laney

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We brought home a VERY pregnant girl back in April. When she would lay down it looked like "something" was coming out. I swear I thought she was having them right then. But when I went in to check on her she stood up and the "something" disappeared back inside her. This was a Friday evening. She dropped 2 little boys the following Monday morning.

Crossing my fingers things are OK for your girl....

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Sounds like a slight prolapse, I wouldn't be concerned unless she's also showing real labor signs or something comes out and remains out.

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Be patient, especially since she's been through it before.

It's exciting waiting for those first kids isn't it!!

PICS when they are born, please!

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
helmstead said:
Sounds like a slight prolapse, I wouldn't be concerned unless she's also showing real labor signs or something comes out and remains out.
I agree with Kate. But it is an exciting time and difficult to be patient.

Laney

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Maggie is still hanging on. She is finding places in the shade to lay down. We are concerned that she is now laying down almost all the time. She hasn't come up to the water all day so we brought a small bucket down to her. She ignored it while we were there.

She is getting vocal, which is unusual for her. She has to be pretty riled up to get vocal (like riding in the van). Of course today it is 96 degrees, being at her due date in this heat is enough to rile anyone up.

On top of that Lil'Mama her fellow preggo has started dripping dark mucous. So we may have two of them going at once. Mama has had only one singleton birth before.

This is Maggie before she got wider than she is tall......
506824838_6BC5Q-M.jpg

This is Lil'Mama (white) and her singleton birth Toro
488141907_SScwK-M.jpg

Laney

Laney

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
After a LONG afternoon in 96 degree heat we were able to help Maggie deliver one baby. Lil'Mama disappeared just as a thunderstorm kicked in. The vet advised us to move Maggie to the goat barn as it was raining where she was.

So we moved her. Just before the rain hit we found Lil'Mama in the chicken coop, one baby already born. We were stuck in the barn for about 45 minutes. When the rain eased I checked on her again...2 babies both boys no problems.

At this point Maggie still hadn't passed the placenta from the first baby and was looking so tired. I called the vet to see if I should give her calcium drench or just bring her in. They said to bring her in so we packed her and her first baby up and brought her in.

The second baby was curled up, head tucked into chest and stillborn. They believe the placenta detached an hour or so before. They told us there was nothing we could have done to save the baby, and it took them about 25minutes to get the baby out. Vet doesn't believe that even bringing her in earlier would have saved the baby, that with pygmies sometimes this is the way it goes with twins.

She told us, go home and celebrate three healthy babies and that is what we are going to do. We have two healthy mothers, and three healthy babies. That is a success. I'm disappointed that one of the girls didn't make it but it's just that disappointment.

So, one girl for Maggie, and two boys for Lil'Mama. The bris will be in one month : ) (j/king) Frederick is the man!

Laney