Maggie, our heifer

sunnysideupfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Honestly, she does not look any looser in the vulva than before. With that much udder development, I would say she is pregnant - because I have never seen a heifer develop that much udder just from being fat.
Is there any chance she could be bred to a later breeding? What was her exact breeding date? Maybe you didn't have a correct due date? One thing, most jerseys do not look hugely pregnant because the calves are often more "long" than they are "wide".
Okay, I see where her actual breeding date is Dec 1st and she was confirmed pregnant. I would give her at least 2 weeks before I would panic over it, and check to make sure there is no possibility that she could have come in heat and gotten bred 3 weeks later. Any neighbors bulls around? Believe me, they can be sneaky.... and there have been many cases of a heifer/cow, jumping a fence and going to a bull and coming back home without you realizing it.

The only other suggestion is if she goes way over, to have the vet recheck her......
Thank you for responding to my post. There are no bulls in our area, only goats!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Comparing this pic to the first pics you posted - it looks to me like her tail head is more prominent. I would think that would indicate that she's softening up in that area? Disclaimer: I am not a cow person