Maggots!

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Today when I was cleaning out the goats pen I found maggots in their house!:he:barnieI have let the chickens out to eat them but there is still a lot! I feel terrible! Any way I could get rid of them and prevent them from coming back? Thanks!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today when I was cleaning out the goats pen I found maggots in their house!:he:barnieI have let the chickens out to eat them but there is still a lot! I feel terrible! Any way I could get rid of them and prevent them from coming back? Thanks!
Well... maggots where?

Maggots usually are in wounds, on the animal.

Or... do you mean you saw worms in their poo?

Or... do you mean moist filthy bedding was growing maggots as in fly larva?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is no maggots on them or in their poop it is just in the bedding.
Then I would scrape everything out, get it off site, or add it to a super hot compost.. or maybe spread it out where it can all dry out so the stuff growing in there dies.

But super scrape out the goat pen, let it dry out BEFORE adding new bedding.

Try to figure out how the bedding is getting wet.

Dry bedding will not grow scary things.

After cleaning and drying... maybe bleach... maybe ag lime, or at least a thin layer of stall dry... then replace bedding in a THIN layer that you can toss/air once daily and clean out weekly.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chickens are the best because they'll devote their entire collective intellect and time all day long to destroying each of those maggots and make it personal. After that you can always spray permethrin back there. If it's an area that stays dry and you're a DE person you could always try that under the bedding as long as they don't dig a lot, but DE can be an inhalation hazard. You don't need pieces of microscopic skeletons in anyone or anything's lungs.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Being in Florida and with so dang much humidity, we use the lime on our dirt floor in the goat house,...we have been maggot free for the last three years in there ....:)
You can also pour bleach directly on them for a quick kill, but scoop up everything that the bleach got on or rinse really well.....we also use DE (sparingly)....absolutely hate flies, maggots or pesty critters....;)

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well after 10 months of our roosters being best friends... today was the day they decided to practically kill each other.:th

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well after 10 months of our roosters being best friends... today was the day they decided to practically kill each other.:th
It is (I am guessing, for you) spring.

Such things happen in spring... raging hormones.

The question is .... was that one fight enough to set the pecking order... or will they keep going at it.

Latest posts