Magnets in your cows?

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Do any of you have magnets in your cows?

We are purchasing two heifers and the farmers we are getting them from said that they each already have magnets in their stomaches and that we should get one for our heifer that we currently have.

I've never heard of such a thing. They said that any animal that eats hay should have one.

What says you all?

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm not a current cattle owner, but was raised on a dairy farm.

Dad put magnets in every cow as they joined the milking string (first freshening). It was very important to him. Thinking is that if a cow ingests wire or other foreign metal, the magnet keeps it in one place. Minimizes complications (doesn't eliminate entirely). It is amazingly easy how wire/metal can get into cattle hay - bolts shearing on haymaking equipment like swathers and balers, barbed wire that gets left in the field, etc.

I would endorse the suggestion you received and get a magnet in your heifer. Cattle magnets are not too expensive and easily deposited with a pill gun.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt anything. Only problem is that non-ferrous metals will not be attracted to magnets. Anything made of copper, brass, etc. will not be affected. We don't do it, simply because we have too many cattle to bother with it. Also, ours are out on pastures where the incidence of nails or other metal debris is nonexistent.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
We've never put magnets in the steers we had simply because it wasn't necessary. In your case, if you're purchasing hay that knowingly or has a risk of having metal objects in it, then it might be a good idea, otherwise it will merely remain an option, not a necessity.

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. We purchase our hay from a very reliable farmer. However, like anything else...how would one be sure that there is no metal in the field or that something didn't come of some of the hay equipment? The two new heifers already have the magnets, so no worries there. I suppose we will just wait until the calf is born and when the time comes to put a magnet in it, put one in our current heifer as well.

Thanks again!

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Magnets are put in cattle to help prevent hardware disease. You can buy them at a lot of feedstores. I think that it's usually just cattle they're put into because cattle tend to be confined, unlike sheep and goats, and things make their way into confinement areas--wire, nails, screws, etc--and cattle (the ones I've been around, anyway) like to put things in their mouths that shouldn't be there. By putting the magnet into the cow's rumen (through bolusing), the metal is attracted to the magnet and prevents it (for the most part) from tearing up the rumen. The metal and magnet just sit there until the animal is butchered, when it is removed and the magnet can be reused.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've never had magnets, but am going to put one in my heifer this year. We lost a cow where I work last month to suspected hardware disease. She suddenly developed a lot of swelling in her lower chest area and died within a few days. Apparently, by the time you see the symptoms, there isn't much point in calling the vet.

We're really careful about nails and such, but it's been 30-odd years since we moved here, and I can't tell you how much barbed wire we've pulled out of the ground over the years and still turn up occasionally.

Just as an aside, my husband (retired heavy equipment mechanic) uses cow magnets in his shop to find dropped metal objects. He couldn't find his and I picked him up one at the feed store. He wasn't even a little impressed with it's pull and thought it wore out too quickly. He prefers the ones you buy from the vet. The last one was $5.00

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Cricket said:
I've never had magnets, but am going to put one in my heifer this year. We lost a cow where I work last month to suspected hardware disease. She suddenly developed a lot of swelling in her lower chest area and died within a few days. Apparently, by the time you see the symptoms, there isn't much point in calling the vet.

We're really careful about nails and such, but it's been 30-odd years since we moved here, and I can't tell you how much barbed wire we've pulled out of the ground over the years and still turn up occasionally.

Just as an aside, my husband (retired heavy equipment mechanic) uses cow magnets in his shop to find dropped metal objects. He couldn't find his and I picked him up one at the feed store. He wasn't even a little impressed with it's pull and thought it wore out too quickly. He prefers the ones you buy from the vet. The last one was $5.00

Good to know!

she-earl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have occasionally used magnets in our dairy cattle. You need to know which animals have received a magnet because you can create problems by giving a cow a second one. The can polarize to each other and thereby close off or pinch something that should not be pinched or closed off.