Major bloat and possible goiter?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree that she needs a vet - ASAP! In the interim you might try standing her with her front feet higher than the rear - which "might" allow some of the gas to rise and allow her to burp. But, it probably wont' work if it's 'frothy' bloat - but might give her a tiny bit of relief if its "just" gas. She IS in distress if her breathing sounds labored. Respiratory distress will kill a goat with bloat.... :(

Hope you can get her some relief tonight.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Called on call vet. Basically everything we have tried is it unless we want to send goat to UNC veterinary hospital for surgery. They said to see if she is still with us in the morning and decide then.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Her bloat is not frothy at all. And I've seen her get feed stuck. She slings her head back and forth until she clears it. Nothing like this.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could it be what is called "choke" in horses? An esophageal obstruction that isn't allowing her to burp...what has she been eating? The build up of gas is constricting her lungs from getting a full breath.

In horses they lavage with warm water via a nasogastric tube until the obstruction passes...if you aren't well practiced in doing your own vet care, you'll need a vet. You may lose this goat if you don't get her to a vet...in horses they aren't having the gas buildup a ruminate has, so it doesn't hold the same danger for them, though they can still aspirate due to the back up of water and food from the esophagus.

http://bearcreekvet.net/esophageal-obstruction-choke/

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What about walking her? I had a ewe bloat, I gave her mineral oil and walked her. Or rather, I pushed her and made her walk. I walked her for 2 1/2 hours. She survived.

I hope your goat makes it.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I too am hoping much for your success in resolving this issue. I think all of us folks with small holdings, working closely with our animals, can feel your stress over this goat. I wish I were there and could help in some way, in any way, if possible. :hugs

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She is still with us, and alert. She has access to water. When I get home I will walk her (push her) around in hopes to clear it. Neck and stomach appear the same.

Vet blatantly put it in perspective last night. It hurts to hear, but true. "How much does this goat mean to you?" At first I was almost offended. Then she explained what she can come try, the cost. Then if that doesn't work, only step is hospitalization, and cost. As much as I do love her, I cannot fork out thousands, just not in the cards. I have always managed illness with my small herd (3) from home and advice from this group.

I really appreciate the show of concern! I will keep you updated this afternoon.

Latest posts