Making A Pasture

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know how much work that is and you did a super job. I never found an automobile but one section of ours by the house had among other things, an old car gas tank still full of gas, a wrecked hot tub and a couple of hundred chairs that appear to have come out of a theater somewhere.
What were people thinking to throw all that crap out on their property? :th

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I haven't started cleaning out my ditch yet but have noticed an old boat trailer upside down in there among rolls of barbed wire, and old wheel barrow, lawn mower decks, and who knows what all else. My son started pulling out some of the old wire when he was here but I told him to put it back as I need to do it all at once and have a RORO dumpster here for all of it. Maybe when he comes out at Christmas. You're doing a great job there Bay. It's looking really nice. Honestly, I was also worried that he might come upon poisonous snakes as well, and he hasn't dealt with them. Didn't need that hanging over me. At Christmas, they'll be all denned up and no factor.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The pigs dug an old glass juicer out of that earthen berm. You know, the kind that you cut the orange in half and squoosh it down on the thing in the middle and the juice collects in the tray. It wasn't shiny anymore and the glass was starting to oxidize. It didn't even have a chip in it. There used to be an old house in that location and one of our neighbors lived there until he was 6 years old. I figured it belonged to his mother, so I gave it to his wife one day when she was over here. He is so proud of that old glass juicer!

picture off the net

upload_2017-8-19_22-45-19.png

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
WORK and time!! GREAT job.

This farm I am on now was crop land -- peanuts mostly -- but, my prior farm had been a location that was used curing civil war and before. The things we "found" there were amazing. Among the arrow heads and glass medicine bottles, belt buckles, etc., we found a cannon ball in one of the barn stalls when digging for a foundation repair. An old wash shed was insulated with pine straw! Some discoveries are more fun than others.

Here, wandering thru the woods behind me, I find things dumped that clearly were not normal...frig, cabinets, etc. There is an old, old house back there and a hand dug, rock lined well. The property was handed to a freed slave and the deed recorded is hand written!! Been in family for many, many years. Unused and growing up. Shame, really. Bet there are "treasures" back there.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I dug a wagon load of Bahia rhizomes off the roadside and sprigged it in this pasture. Today I dug another wagon load from the road side. While hurricane Harvey ravages the Gulf coast, it is cloudy and cool here. No rain, but we could get some Tuesday. Who knows.

My wagon of Bahia. While I was digging it, 3 neighbors stopped to visit and one called. I don't know if they think I'm crazy or smart, but the grass is free, I just gotta dig it and sprig it.

IMG_2020.JPG

Dig a trench, drop in Bahia.

IMG_2021.JPG

Cover with dirt and stomp.

IMG_2022.JPG

My husband finished what he was doing and came to help. I dug trenches and he dropped Bahia and stomped. I sure was glad for his help! He has been mulching the driveway the last several days to keep it from washing out in the rain.

IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Looking good! Are you collecting phone poles again? :ep

Latest posts