Making A Pasture

BigFamBam

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have ran the sheep in this pasture and they have done a good job of cleaning it up. I pulled green briars out of the trees and they ate the leaves off. There is an earthen berm that runs length-wise with trees growing out of it and LOTS of green briars, so thick that we couldn't get in there to cut them out. We raised 3 Red Wattle hogs in it this spring/summer and they did a fine job of clearing out more briars and brush. They even straddled saplings, walked them down and ate the leaves off!

So this week we have spent 2 days picking up dead tree limbs, cut some that we didn't want and hauling out the mess. We made major inroads on the green briars, still a lot to go, but WOW what a difference! Over the 3 years that we have been here, we have picked up buckets of glass shards, metal, rusted cans and all the accumulated trash of burn barrels of long ago. We thought we had done a good job of clean up, but the pigs rooted up FIVE 50 pound bags of MORE glass shards! :thThere is a twisted pile of what used to be some sort of automobile up in there that hopefully we can drag out today. Yesterday I was finally able to get close enough to it to lay hands on it. For the longest time we could barely even see it, much less get close to it!

I'll take pics today.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It has been hot and so dry that the ground has been powder. The Bahia grass I planted in early spring in the horse pasture has been brown and curled. I figured it was dead. Last week we got a half inch of rain, then a quarter inch of rain. Couple days later we got 1 1/4” of rain! That settled the dust and gave the thirsty ground a drink. The Bahia grass is green! So are the weeds and stump regrowth from having the pasture forestry mulched. We are going to graze the Sheep on it this week, then mow it to knock down the weeds.

Look at the green in the forefront of the picture! Grass! Grass! Whoop!

7AA1D9B0-0722-407A-9918-5F2904DCEAF4.jpeg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
My goats would have all the tree regrowth gone FIRST, then the weeds & vines...eventually the grass would be tried.

Hope your sheep will do a good amount of that.

Your bermuda will be thicker soon....I swear, you can't kill that stuff!! I should take a picture of my garden....dig it up and turn your back, bam! It's growing again! Hopefully that little something brewing in the Gulf will give you another couple inches of rain later this week.

July I had NO rain and record temps for entire month. Thought everything died. August, a lot of rain. Now, I can't keep it mowed and the animals can't either. Knee deep on the goats in many areas. And THICK! Yes, established but, huge recovery.