making a sheep halter?

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So I'd like to start trying to get these two 3.5-month-old lambs used to wearing a halter and eventually get them broke to lead. (I've been told it's basically like leash-training cats - first you just let them do whatever they want without trying to restrain or lead them, til they are used to wearing the halter, then you can start trying to exert some directional control and train them)

Looking at sheep/goat halters in catalogs, it seems like it would take approximately fifteen seconds to make one out of baler twine or soft thin rope or something like that. Is this true, or is there something I'm missing that really makes it worthwhile to *buy* one?

If homemade is fine, which would you recommend as the best material - natural baler twine, very heavy-gauge plastic baler twine, natural or thinner plastic baler twine that has been braided first, or thin soft rope?

Any other advice on the subject?

Thanks,

Pat

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Definitely no baler twine. It's too thin and would be uncomfortable. It's easy to make one, you just need the right rope. I'd either use a cotton rope or poly (you can fuse the ends so it doesn't unravel). I really prefer cotton because I think it forms to their head better. Poly tends to be somewhat stiff until it's broken in well.

Here's a really good diagram to show you how!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
You know I'm all for making my own things, but I found a great, adjustable sheep show halter and lead at Southern States for $13. It is very sturdy and made like a horse halter with great rings on which to snap the lead. The best part I liked was the adjustments were on each side of the halter and on the head and cheek straps.

This was attractive to me because they can wear it when small and also as they grow. I plan to introduce my ram lamb to the halter when he arrives and he will be the only one to wear one for now.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah I would go for the store-bought kind. Most Co-op stores have leather show halters that are "adjustable" around the nose because the lead and halter are all-in-one.

Can you do collars with sheep? The two goaties here have collars on and I walk them by lead to a little pasture every day so they've kind of been trained as a necessity lol.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine is the red nylon type and the lead is a separate thing.

I also have the nylon rope slider kind that has the lead built in...this tightens on their heads if they pull against it. That one I bought for teaching a calf to halter/lead.

My ram lamb is black and I figure the red will show up on him real well and let folks easily identify him as my ram if they are visiting my paddocks. Since the ram is the iffy element in a flock, it would be nice to be able to tie him up at a moment's notice if needed.

Anyone going to place a bell on their ewes/does?

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've been considering bells for the two goaties for the summer since they'll be on pasture during the day. They're really good about coming back when they do get out, it only takes a feed pan and I can hook the lead ropes on them and lead them back, but they like to go and try to break in Luna's field and thats a big no-no... she is totally perplexed by goats and I'm afraid she'd hurt them by accident, so bells are being seriously considered here!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I prefer the adjustable rope halters to the nylon type. I had those and used them for years but the rope ones are so much lighter and more convenient for me. I definitely wouldn't leave a halter on a sheep while unattended, that's just asking for trouble because sheep tend to get themselves into some risky situations!

And I tried the bell thing too. THat lasted about 2 minutes. :lol: LOUD!!!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
No bells here ever again! I had doe that I put a bell on years ago. One day she didn't come in for supper when I called. I found her "tied" to the fence in the hot sun by her bell, which she'd somehow caught in the fence. She was ok, but it might have ended tragically.

I took all collars off here, too, when I got Mya, who has horns. She is wearing a collar still, but that will likely come off, too, if I get a couple of keeper doelings or a buck. I won't be disbudding.

nsanywhere

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
my 2 ewes have collars and bells - worn them since they were 2 months old. I love the sound, and I like to know what they are up to.

Just be sure to check the collars regularly and loosen as needed so they don't choke.

kelsey2017

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here is the baling twine halter I made for my sheep by following the link at the beginning of this thread by aggieterpkatie. I braided 7 strands (sounds hard but is easy) of plastic twine and it is actually quite cushy. I would not get into a pulling match with it or any of the poly ones though, I bet it would rub it you hd a really panicky sheep. It is very adjustable and best of all free! It took me 15 mins start to finish, and that included time digging through the pile of twines to find 7 strings with the knots close to the cut end!

3312_photo_00060.jpg

3312_photo_00058.jpg

Latest posts