making a sheep halter?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When I worked at UCD on a fertility/ behavior study... we worked with about 100 fully mature rams at a time. We made cotton clothesline halters very similar to what Kelsey just posted. We just tied a small loop at one end than another loop about 4-6 inches down then pass the other end of the loop through both loops for adjustable over the back of the head to under jaw area, make the lead portion about 6' -8'long for easier handling and walaa... a halter with lead. We had most of the rams halter broke within 2-5 haltering sessions and occasionally a few had a very hard time learning. The additional rope leangth comes in handy when one has an unrully sheep. One can then just loop the end of the rope behing the hind quarter and back to the halter to assist you to make it move ( push+ pull) forward. Enjoy !

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Nice job! Yeah, that's actually waht I was talking about in my original post on this thread last year, braiding the baler twine before making into a halter. Although I have to say you are a much better braider than I am! (I ended up just buying some rope, and then ultimately buying a commercial rope halter anyhow because I was having too much trouble getting proportions right without a *docile* animal to do fittings on :p)

<applause>,

Pat

Resolute

Just born
Reaction score
I found a good video on youtube about this.

Rope Halter

I used 3-ply nylon rope, because the ends can be melted, and it felt very soft. My sheep are small, so I used 3/8 inch. It held well... They weren't too used to it though :p

Latest posts