Making Dog Food From Offal

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
After this rainy spring and summer, we are currently experience a drought and would sure love to have a little of that rain come this way! We are crunchy, dusty dry here with temps still into the high 90s on some days, but usually in the high 80s still.

We need those fall rains and cooler nights long about now.

Bay, I love it that you can up your offal into dog food! When I get to where I can butcher a few lambs each season, I'll be doing the same. When I get a chance to can up deer offal, I do that as well. Usually I have still have some squash and pumpkins I can throw into the jar also, but won't this year.

Good for the dogs! Have you ever thought of also canning in some rib bones? That's something that often goes directly to the dogs here but I'd like to can up some of that this year to dole out later into the winter.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This time I got the ribs pretty much the whole, long ribs, instead of short ribs. I think I’ll cut them in sections for a raw treat. I asked for lamb shanks, which are the lower leg bones with very little meat. Another raw dog treat. I’ve used up the pork bones, giving them out semi frozen, on hot days as dog popsicles.

@Beekissed when you can chicken, can the backs and necks for the dogs. I keep the liver and gizzards for us to fry, from young chickens. From old layers, they go in the canning jar, along with the hearts.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed when you can chicken, can the backs and necks for the dogs. I keep the liver and gizzards for us to fry, from young chickens. From old layers, they go in the canning jar, along with the hearts.

I should do that...I normally use all that for making stock, then pick the bones and can that meat. After that the dogs normally get the all the left over bones and offal(gout, so can no longer even use those in the stock), but I could can them up and eek them out throughout the winter for a treat.

That would be great for those subzero days when I normally take some hot water up there and make a gravy with their dog food, to give them a hot meal for that day. I could just heat up a jar of canned up dogfood and mix it with their dry.