Making Dog Food From Offal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Canning dog food again. We took 4 lambs to slaughter and I kept the offal. Liver, heart, kidneys plus 2 old pork roasts. I put half a cup of cooked rice in each quart. I just took 7 jars out and started 6 more, plus 1 quart of broth. After this batch is done, I’ll have 7 more quarts of broth and rice. I was down to 4 quarts of dog food! I still have 12 quarts of chicken backs from the Cornish Cross we raised this spring. We’ll be slaughtering 10 old layer hens, so they will get more chicken backs, necks and gizzards.

This takes 90 minutes of pressure canning. Can anybody say BORING? Just put the weight on batch #2, got to wait for it to get up to pressure before I can start timing.

I sit and stare at the canner like it’s going to blow up. It’s not, it stays right on a bit over 10 pounds, but I still won’t leave it alone. So here I sit for an hour and a half, thinking about all the other things I could be doing besides watching a dial that don’t move.

It does make me feel good to not be wasting meat, because I don’t like the offal. Dogs sure love it.

75cf05ad-b16f-4ee7-926b-d006276b920b-jpeg.12333

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks good - a little crusty French bread to go with it and ....yum, lol!
Actually, you could! It is canned with the same care that I prepare our food. But.....liver, heart, kidneys and old pork roast...…:sick I lost all interest at liver.

I finally walked out of the kitchen at 7:28. It went from a "treat'" for the dogs to every night. If BJ doesn't mix up their dog food, they won't eat, so who's the boss here? :gigI may have to go to the slaughter house and buy offal from them. We don't slaughter enough animals to keep the dogs fed. Today's work will last about a month.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A small town between Houston and Beaumont, got 41 inches of rain from this tropical depression.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Anyone hear anything from @greybeard ? I sure hope he didn't try to stick it out again.....:idunno.....Joyce was saying she saw a report that the water is almost street light high in Beaumont and that I-10 is closed west of there with water over it.....been thru there quite a few times.....:hugs..... @frustratedearthmother I sure hope it moves on soon for ya....keep an eye out for cottonmouths and rattlers.....:ep

Latest posts