Making Goat's Milk Butter

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Not the gloomy time consuming project that some make it out to be! ;)

Today I made roughly 4 oz of snow white goat's milk butter. The only thing time consuming about it was finding my food processor :rolleyes:

I have had a couple quart jars of raw goat milk in the selling fridge for 4-5 days now... so I decided, why not use it?! I carefully took the jars out of the fridge and brought them into the kitchen. I grabbed a long handled spoon(aka an iced tea spoon) and started scooping off/out the cream and putting it in the food processor(fitted with a regular chopping blade). Once I had roughly 1 cup of cream, I turned the processor on and let it go and go and go. Through soft peak, hard peak, and then finally... sloshing and siezing! I drained the buttermilk, and then set the processor back on it's stand, and poured in 1/2 c ice cold water and gave it a few pulses. Drain & repeat, drain and repeat. Then I took a cereal bowl and placed it ontop of a small mixing bowl filled with ice. I scraped the butter out with a rubber spatula and put it into the cereal bowl. then I took a fork and started mashing the butter to get out any trapped water. After draining the little bit of water from the bowl of butter, I transferred the butter to a small rubbermaid container and put it into the fridge to finnish firming. This will keep for roughly 5 days in the fridge(longer in the freezer), which isn't horrible, cause y'all know that 4 oz of butter will be gone LONG before then, by which time I will have already made a new batch! SO good, and definitely worth the max of 15-20 minutes it takes to make it!!

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
X2 Thanks for sharing. That butter, though it won't last long, is something you should be proud of. I think it's neat that you can raise the goats, milk the goats, and make things that your family loves and enjoy that 20 minutes, then look forward to doing it all over again. Looking forward to someday doing it myself. Thanks for the recipe and the time you took to write down your experience showing it's not as bad as you think. Hope you share some more.

a Big :woot from New Jersey.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Here is a pic of when the cream siezed and seperated into butter & buttermilk.
3120_butter_buttermilk.jpg

And a pic of the snow white butter, post fork mashing over ice to remove trapped water.
3120_027.jpg

Finished product on oatmeal toast, YUM! :D
3120_028.jpg

TigerLilly

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ooooh, I am sooo going to have to try this! I've already quit buying milk for the time being; might as well make some butter!

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
Here is a pic of when the cream siezed and seperated into butter & buttermilk.
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/3120_butter_buttermilk.jpg

And a pic of the snow white butter, post fork mashing over ice to remove trapped water.
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/3120_027.jpg

Finished product on oatmeal toast, YUM! :D
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/3120_028.jpg
Thanks for sharing the pictures. I hope you enjoyed your finished product. :)

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Now all you need is a separator for the next round of goat milk so you can make 4x the butter out of the same quantity of milk. I will bet the first round won't last long.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
kstaven said:
Looks good. Now all you need is a separator for the next round of goat milk so you can make 4x the butter out of the same quantity of milk. I will bet the first round won't last long.
You can actually use a food processor as your seperator, but I was just using what I had for seperated cream to see if the directions I found really worked. I am currently letting a couple more jars set and seperate more... once there is roughly 2 cups of cream(should be roughly 4-5 more days) I will make a new batch.
The current butter has 3 more days, without being frozen, to be used... there is only roughly 1 Tbsp left of it now.

zzGypsy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
kstaven said:
You can actually use a food processor as your seperator, .
ok, I'd like to know more about that... please?

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
kstaven said:
You can actually use a food processor as your seperator, .
Not to be overly argumentative but you still lose a lot of volume working that way. Try it side by side with the same volume of milk and see what you find. Even from your pics the butter milk still shows that the separation is not complete.