Male mini Rex rabbit won’t breed

Blessedwithpets

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
7F2F30A6-7CC2-4C33-A1EA-C5747A208A3F.jpeg

These are my 3 pure bred mini Rex rabbits. The grey and brown harlequin and the lilac are both female and the mostly white Tri color is the male. The male is nine months old and the females are seven months old and the male has no interest in breeding and I bought them for breeding rabbits so I’m very disappointed. I’ve watched videos and I’ve tried everything to try to get them to breed but I got tired of switching them to each other’s cage and them not breeding so now they live in the same large cage together and they all get along great but they do not breed. I’ve had many rabbits before and have never had trouble with the males, They usually “breed like rabbits” but this rabbit doesn’t breed but he is so sweet and so beautiful and I don’t want to have to replace him but I will if necessary. I am new to this forum but I’m hoping someone will give me their opinion on what I should do to get my male bunny to breed or if I should replace him.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since all three are still relatively young, maybe the young man just doesn't have a clue what to do. Do you, or do you know any one, have an older female who has, ahem, gone through the dance before? Try him with an experienced doe and he may discover the joy of being a boy and what to do with a doe.

Blessedwithpets

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Since all three are still relatively young, maybe the young man just doesn't have a clue what to do. Do you, or do you know any one, have an older female who has, ahem, gone through the dance before? Try him with an experienced doe and he may discover the joy of being a boy and what to do with a doe.
The only person I know that has more mini Rex rabbits is the breeder I got them from and I have no personal connection to them. The only other person I know that has rabbits is my uncles friend but he has New Zealand’s and he told me I could have any rabbits I want but I don’t really want New Zealand’s. But I could contact the breeder and just ask her what I should Do. Or I could maybe try him with a New Zealand but it’s not really ideal. Do you think maybe if I separated them for a couple weeks then put them back together maybe he would have a change? He was a little underweight and had ear mites But I treated all three rabbits and they are all clear and he’s picked up his weight again and is pretty healthy. And I was gonna take him to the vet But my dad works and I have younger siblings so it’s hard to make appointments but he got better and I treated him at home. I’m 13 and even though I’m fairly young I’m still very responsible for my animals But I pay for all my animal expenses so I Bought these rabbits to breed and sell their babies for extra funds because I clearly do not have a job but I still want what’s best for them so in order To sell baby bunnies they need to breed first lol 😅 thanks for you help so far!!!

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Big hug for wanting to do what is best for your rabbits.

How much of a size difference is there between your young man and the New Zealands you mentioned? I mean are we talking about a 3 lb rabbit vs a 10 lb rabbit? It is safe to breed a smaller male to a larger female, but not the other way around.

Go ahead and separate your male from the girls. Any way you can put him in a different room, or at least far enough away that he can't see them? Could be that absence will make the heart grow fonder.

Some guys just take longer to mature. I certainly would not give up on him. The trio should make some beautiful kits for you.

Blessedwithpets

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Big hug for wanting to do what is best for your rabbits.

How much of a size difference is there between your young man and the New Zealands you mentioned? I mean are we talking about a 3 lb rabbit vs a 10 lb rabbit? It is safe to breed a smaller male to a larger female, but not the other way around.

Go ahead and separate your male from the girls. Any way you can put him in a different room, or at least far enough away that he can't see them? Could be that absence will make the heart grow fonder.

Some guys just take longer to mature. I certainly would not give up on him. The trio should make some beautiful kits for you.
I’m not sure exactly how much my rabbits weigh but I will check on that. Nor do I know exactly how big the other rabbits are or if they are pure bred New Zealands. I don’t really want the mixed rabbits but I just want him to eventually breed with the females that I have. I don’t like bigger rabbits because I don’t want to sell for meat I want to sell them for pet rabbits. I do know that you can’t breed a big male to a small female or it can cause some problems with birthing and can be harmful to the female. I’m definitely not giving up on him anytime soon he is my absolutely favorite rabbit. I need to buy some wood and build another cage, hutch, or tractor to put in the yard for I already have the wire. Thank you for the feedback!!!! There is a picture of their cage. 9ft by 2ft

Attachments

• ABC604BA-CF49-4302-B992-C4AE1CB9B941.jpeg
    ABC604BA-CF49-4302-B992-C4AE1CB9B941.jpeg
    529.2 KB · Views: 90

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you know anyone with a large dog kennel you could borrow for a short time? Then you could move him while another set up is made.

You are sounding very responsible and caring. I wouldn't give up on that trio either!!! IMO it will work out as they age just a little more. Maturity doesn't always happen when you want it. Eventually they will give you some beautiful kits to love and sell. :love

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here's something to read about. This guy has lots of topics, been in rabbits a long time and knows what he's talking about. Others on here have referred to his website.
If you want to split them up quick maybe the person with the new zealands has an xtra unused cage you could borrow until your ready with yours.
Don't give up they're all still young.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
If he is indeed a he, and he is mature enough, but he is living with the girls, like the others have said he may not know what to do and the girls may not be letting him be dominant enough to try. If you give him his own suite, and take the doe you want to breed to his bachelor pad he will feel more like wooing her there in his own fluffy rabbit kingdom. He probably needs about a week on his own, followed by a date. Generally the buck does not live with the does and the mature does infact do not live together either. That can occasionally lead to sexual aggression and rabbit infanticide no matter what HRS says.

Latest posts