Male mini Rex rabbit won’t breed

Blessedwithpets

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do you know anyone with a large dog kennel you could borrow for a short time? Then you could move him while another set up is made.

You are sounding very responsible and caring. I wouldn't give up on that trio either!!! IMO it will work out as they age just a little more. Maturity doesn't always happen when you want it. Eventually they will give you some beautiful kits to love and sell. :love
I have a large dog kennel but it’s pretty beat up from my goats. What I’m probably going to do is use a dog exercise pen and put a piece of horse panel on the ground so he doesn’t dig out and some sheet metal on the top in case of predators. If they do end up mating can I still keep the females together?

Blessedwithpets

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here's something to read about. This guy has lots of topics, been in rabbits a long time and knows what he's talking about. Others on here have referred to his website.
If you want to split them up quick maybe the person with the new zealands has an xtra unused cage you could borrow until your ready with yours.
Don't give up they're all still young.
Thank you!!!! I will check out the link.

Blessedwithpets

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do you know anyone with a large dog kennel you could borrow for a short time? Then you could move him while another set up is made.

You are sounding very responsible and caring. I wouldn't give up on that trio either!!! IMO it will work out as they age just a little more. Maturity doesn't always happen when you want it. Eventually they will give you some beautiful kits to love and sell. :love
Here’s my contraption for Kirk the bunny. It’s about 2 1/2 feet wide by 8ft. The other cage used to sit on this until I hung it with chains. So now Kirk will be there and Rory and lulu will stay in the original cages. If you’ve seen Gilmore girls that’s where I got the names lol.
CA8D6BD0-7F87-4E0F-A220-2366A6CDA597.jpeg

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If they do end up mating can I still keep the females together?
No.
Was given two lop-eared does over 20 yrs ago. Didn't know to ask and wasn't told one had been bred. Three weeks after they arrived I found kits in a pile in back of the hutch chewed on. One doe had a bloody mouth. Idk who ,what or why. Boy was little they were for him I found them some place else to go.
Another thing I've read it on here " rabbits get along until they don't". Having kits is a stressor you don't need on the relationship they have. Safer to split them up then come home to find something bad happened. Its heartbreaking and you can't fix it afterwards. Don't forget you will need space to split the kits up after they're weaned. All the feel good sites on the internet make it sound like they are sweet and cuddly and need to be housed together. Its great until they fight and one gets cut up or worse. Not trying to ruin your plans just talking reality. Its a fun hobby but it isn't cheap and some days not easy.

Last edited:

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
If all three rabbits were living together, there's a possibility he wasn't breeding because the does are already bred. The act takes less than a minute, so if they were together out of your supervision it could have happened. Or they might still be too young.

Latest posts