Male weanlings and social issues

Lil-patch-of-heaven

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a topic under goats where this question first came up for me but since I have a new q regarding a llama I thought it would be better to ask here?

I just got a yearling Nubian doe in milk and a week old doeling bottle baby (not hers). Both need not to be alone though I think the doeling is doing well they are not together except when supervised (which was most of the day). I can't keep that up tho.

I am getting a nine year old female ex-show llama who should be pg along with a six month male weanling (not hers). I was supposed to get a gelded two year old male too but he did not work out (found he had an undescended tyesticle and can't be gelded.

My q is about the male. It sounds like I need to put the female llama with the goat but the male will have to be pastured separately? I was most interested in him because he was a bit friendly despite not being handled. I wanted a young one to work with in training (training animals is a hobby of mine). I don't have much experience with llamas though -- I DO know not to get too chummy with young males though but would welcome more info. I am wondering -- if I get a second male weanling for a pasture mate for him will that make any difference in training him? Has anyone ever used a buck goat for a pasture mate? I'm thinking that would NOT work but I've never heard it talked about. Are there any other options? I have not found another gelding I can afford yet.

Thanks!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would not put a buck goat in with the llama. Goats like to butt, especially intact males and could do some damage to the llama. Is there a rescue in your area? There is Southeast Llama Rescue and supposedly they have an abundance of rescues right now. http://www.southeastllamarescue.org/ The male will definitely have to be separate from the females. You might be able to get away with a whether goat as a buddy for him but definitely not an intact male.

Also what you might consider as a buddy is a male/gelded alpaca. If you want to work with him, I would consider going to a clinic with Camelidynamics or Gentle Spirit Training. Both methods are really great. Another animal in with the llama male won't hurt training in any way.

If the female llama is pregnant, then you could work with her cria. It sounds like you already know not to love on them but proper training from the beginning is fine. Maybe you could pass on the weanling male and just concentrate on the new cria when he/she arrives. At least something to think about.

Lil-patch-of-heaven

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks. I had thought the buck goat would not work but since it could solve two problems at once I thought I'd ask.

I may check into the alpaca. I had decided against them but I know of a pet fiber gelding available cheaply. I can probably get a weanling male llama or certainly a young wether for a lot less. Also probably be more useful to browse theovergrown pasture.

Thanks for the training organizations. I read everything I could get my hands on but didn't know abt them. Will definitely check into it

I'd love to work with her cria but this little guy just really struck me with his personality and looks and he's almost paid for so I don't want to back out.

I'm going to watch an alpaca shearing next week and maybe help out just to get some experience. The guy is already trying to sell me alpacas lol.

Thanks again very much. This is very helpful.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Good luck on your search. I know there are plenty of llamas and alpacas in need of a good home! I'm not sure where you are located but I can tell you in Ohio you can get pet quality males very cheaply. Some people are even willing to give their males away.

Lil-patch-of-heaven

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
East-central tx. I can get males for $100. Some people sell females for $100-200 range but more commonly over $300. That's the cheap end of course. I did see a weanling male that was about to be gelded that I wanted but she was asking about $1400 for him.

I did contact the rescue btw but they must have gotten homes for them all. Adoption fee is $200 I think. I told her I wasn't able to take problem llamas Right now due to lack of experience.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
$1400 for a gelded male? :ep Geesh! I guess she doesn't want to sell him!

I'm sure you will be able to find something whether it is an alpaca or llama.

papeine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
"I DO know not to get too chummy with young males though but would welcome more info."

I am new to this alpaca thing.. I just bouth 4 males.. 8 months to a year old. I do plan on gelding them, but was told I need to wait until they are almost two...something about bone growth... anyway, I am working with them to "tame" them.. just concerned with this comment.. why don't I want to get to chummy with my young males????

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
papeine said:
why don't I want to get to chummy with my young males????
If you don't set proper boundaries for your male llamas/alpacas as youngsters, they could develop what is called "Berserk Male Syndrome". They have no respect for you because they think that you are just another llama/alpaca and they will treat you as one.

This means you need to spend time with them and train them, but don't hand feed or do a lot of hugging and cuddling. This said, there are animals who were over-handled as babies that have grown up to be well-behaved adults and there some that were properly socialized that became monsters.

Latest posts