Malformed Still born Litter and a Dying Doe.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
There's such a difference in the sizes of the kits. Had she birthed successfully before? Could she have had an infection in one horn of the uterus that stunted the development of those babies. I'm not a rabbit person so I don't even know if they have different horns in the uterus...just grasping at straws here.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes -- this is true everywhere, unfortunate.

I ask because this because if fescue with endophyte, it causes deformity in foals & sometimes cattle. Don't raise rabbits but, suspect that could be an issue. Also, if the grass had been sprayed with chems. Have you had other does bred &/or kindled within time you began with this hay? Not saying this is your problem but, since I have been down the road with fescue (25 yrs ago-- 11 foals in one season) it is always a mental question when I see malformation. Unless your bought from the grower, you will not know facts on hay.

We all hate the losses, the guilt, the "wonder" and especially the not knowing. Unfortunate that death is part of life. :hugs
I lost a QH foal to fescue way back in 1992. I wouldn't think it is the hay, I have had six healthy litters since I started feeding it.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
With other good litters, I'd suspect not hay also.

Yeah, early 90s for me. I sued the company -- during the trial, they settled!! NO warnings on bag and it said "excellent pasture grass for pregnant mares". Had 2 C-sections in one week.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So sorry... to lose the litter and the doe is really harsh. I have to agree with the 2 litter idea. Not sure how it works with rabbits, but if she retained semen then dropped more eggs a few days later and started another batch... :idunno Hope you can figure it out and no more losses like this.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Oh, and so you know for future use, up top in all the various selections when typing a post, third over to the right from the smiley is an option to "insert"... If you click it, one selection is a "spoiler" type your warning in the spoiler title box and insert your pics inside. That way folks have to option to look or not. Can't say they weren't warned.
In the text editor there are two sets of BB codes, one to start the spoiler (with the title you just typed), & one to end it, and the cursor should be between the two.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those kits don't look particularly malformed to me. Kits that are DOA often look a bit weird.

Since this was a doe due to kindle within a couple of days, my first thought is pregnancy toxemia, though that shouldn't cause a prolapse.:idunno

Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Those kits don't look particularly malformed to me. Kits that are DOA often look a bit weird.

Since this was a doe due to kindle within a couple of days, my first thought is pregnancy toxemia, though that shouldn't cause a prolapse.:idunno

Sorry for your loss.

Maybe you can't see it in the photo, but two had very misshapen legs and all were tiny but three were super tiny and like their ears hadn't formed properly yet. There was A LOT of blood in the nest box.

Is pregnancy toxemia common? What can cause it?

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Did you figure out the problem Gypsy ?
I think so, kinda. I found a tumor on her uterus that looks like it had ruptured. She also had thick yellow fat on her liver, kidneys, and her heart... Which I found odd because she didn't appear or feel overweight... So now I'm puzzled about what may have caused that.