Mamaboid-Bad day turned out a whole lot better than it could have.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have been pretty much keeping a daily journal on here anyway, so I figured I would go ahead and make it official.
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
Northeast PA, Endless Mountains Region, Hot humid summers, Cold (except for this winter) winters with moderate snow.
2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?
Just my DH and I. Married 16 years.
3. How would you define your farm?
Small. Almost 12 acres, about half and half open field and wooded area. Our neighbor and we share a field, so he and my DH have a golf course (11 holes) in the field between the farms. We have two creeks that connect in the corner of our property. Most of the time, they are trickles running through the countyside. When it rains too much, they both overflow their boundaries, and we become an island unto ourselves. When this happens, we live up to our Flooded Creek Farm name.
4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
Buy more land and increase our goat herd from 9 to about 30, get some sheep, and get some horses.
5. Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building? Do you want to?
Yes, we built our chicken coop, my DH's work shop, a sun room/dinning room on our house. Next project is to close in our front deck and make it a den.
6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
No
7. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer?
Was raised on a farm. Have always loved animals, and just decided it was time to get back to it.
8 Is it a hobby or an occupation?
Right now it is a hobby for the DH and my lifeline. I have had serious medical problems since 2002, and am unable to work outside the home. This keeps me sane.
9. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?
I have a good general knowledge of overall animal care, would like to learn more about medicines and cures for animals.
10. In what types of farming will you never choose to do?
I am not a garden person, so will probably never grow too much plant life. I do love my house plants though.
11. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply?
Yes, as in goat and lamb meat, pigs, and different birds, not in the grow it in the dirt way.
12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
In the goat pen, or beside our pond with a fishing pole in my hand.
13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
Yes to tractor, give me a couple hours and I can learn to drive pretty much anything with wheels.
14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
Used to do all kinds of wood crafts, love ceramics, I crochet and knit. I do sew, but it is not my favorite thing to do.
15. Can you legally have all forms of livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
Yes, we can have anything that is legal in the state of PA. We have 2 dogs, 3 cats, 9 goats, 50+ chickens.
16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
I don't but the DH can do anything that can be done with wood. He is a contractor by trade.
17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
Not particularly, but I do usually plant some tomatoes, onions, lettuce and sometimes some pepper plants.
18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of anything else. I usually use bait, LOL.
19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City farm? Country?
11+ acres in the heart of Endless Mountain Region, northeast PA. Very close to the Poconos.
20. Are you a Novice, Technician, degreed?
Somewhere just past Novice.
21. What is your farm specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
Chickens and goats, would like to know more about sheep and ducks and turkeys.
22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?
Animal Husbandry I guess would cover it. I would like to know more about meds and treatments.
23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?
Yes, usually with DH, but have done a lot of refinishing in my day.
24. Are you interested in herbal animal medicine?
Only in that case where it is best for animals.
25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?'
Somewhere within 20 miles of Boothbay Harbor Maine. That is my favorite place in the world.
26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
Not now, but in past used kitchen wood range for both. Would love to again, but current house does not have right make-up. That is one of the plans for the new room I want to build where current deck is
27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?
Right now it would be a Super Vet. We have NO goat knowledgeable vets in our area.
28. Are your family or friends also interested in animals?
Yes. My family visit us on a regular basis and spend lots of time with the animals. They all have the normal dog and cat pets, some in large numbers. My brother has 5 cats and 2 dogs.
29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?
I would cook all day if someone else would clean up after me. I won't buy store eggs anymore since I got my chickens. I plan to milk my goats in the future, as soon as my Nubian has kids which should be in May.
30. What was your best animal experience? Worst?
Best animal experiences were when I owned 5 horses and spent many happy hours riding. Helping baby goats get born runs up there pretty close second. Worst was the loss of my Sandy dog, who was 18 years old and died in my arms.
31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
Yes, wild berries, leeks, chives and wild herbs. I used to hunt a lot, haven't done much in the last few years due to my health, but would love to get back into white tail and small game hunting.
32. What skills do you have that help you be more a self sufficient farm?
Building, animal knowledge, am somewhat handy with fixing things, and the DH can build anything.
33. Do you process your own meat? Can or preserve?
Yes, we do our own chickens, deer, small game, etc. We have not yet sent a goat to freezer camp, but that is in our future plans. Hope we can follow through when the time comes without having to get somebody else to do the "deed". Yes, I can and freeze both.
34. Do you use alternative energy sources on your farm? Would you like to?
Only wood in the fireplace. Wish we could afford some solar panels.
35 What is on your to do list?
Upgrade my goat herd, fix up house some more, and someday GO TO ALASKA.
36. Have you ever lived completely off what you produce? Would you like to?
No, but would sure love to be able to.
37. In what do you trust?
38. Do you make and fix things yourself to save money?
At every possible chance.
39. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits?
Yes. Animals don't lie behind your back, say snotty things about you, or hurt you without cause. Wish I could say the same about some people. I have NO time for anyone that my dogs don't like. Habits change when you get animals out of necessity, because you gotta be home to feed, house and in the future milk them. Cannot take off for a few days without making arrangements for their care.

OK, there you go. Will move post goat cam postings on here from now on. Hopefully, we will have three more to watch in May. All for now. Later

BJ

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This is great! Thank you for doing this. It's been a while, is all well? Hope so.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
fortheloveofgoats said:
This is great! Thank you for doing this. It's been a while, is all well? Hope so.
Yup, all is going well. I am getting ready for my surgery on the 5th, trying to get all the kids their CDT shots, and DiMethox treatments done before I go in. Tried to do some hoof trimming and my trimmers wouldn't cut, all they wanted to do was pinch, so had to go buy another set. Was going to work on those today, but we have had 50 mile an hour winds here today, and temperatures in the low 30s. NOT a nice day to be messing with feet.....or anything else outside. Even my dogs didn't want to be out today.

I have been following your GP posts, I love little piggers. When I was in highschool, we lived in town, so I couldn't have the horse, lamb, or goat that I wanted. On the back of our property was a small building that at one time I suspect was a chicken coop. I had that filled with guinea pigs. All colors, hair lengths, and sizes. My classmate's mothers hated me, lol, cause their kids were always going home with small fluffy animals. My Mom finally put her foot down and said that is enough and we slowly fazed them out. Took me almost 2 years to get new homes for all of them. I used to love the squeals they made when they saw me coming with the box from the grocery store. They would give me all their produce scraps. For a few years, I owned a pet shop. I had birds, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, fish, snakes, and of all things rats. I raised all my own stock. Now THERE is a dream job. I had to sell the shop when my Grandmother got sick as I was her primary care giver. I miss it. Ok, enough for now. Later

BJ

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Mamaboid said:
fortheloveofgoats said:
Yup, all is going well. I am getting ready for my surgery on the 5th, trying to get all the kids their CDT shots, and DiMethox treatments done before I go in. Tried to do some hoof trimming and my trimmers wouldn't cut, all they wanted to do was pinch, so had to go buy another set. Was going to work on those today, but we have had 50 mile an hour winds here today, and temperatures in the low 30s. NOT a nice day to be messing with feet.....or anything else outside. Even my dogs didn't want to be out today.

I have been following your GP posts, I love little piggers. When I was in highschool, we lived in town, so I couldn't have the horse, lamb, or goat that I wanted. On the back of our property was a small building that at one time I suspect was a chicken coop. I had that filled with guinea pigs. All colors, hair lengths, and sizes. My classmate's mothers hated me, lol, cause their kids were always going home with small fluffy animals. My Mom finally put her foot down and said that is enough and we slowly fazed them out. Took me almost 2 years to get new homes for all of them. I used to love the squeals they made when they saw me coming with the box from the grocery store. They would give me all their produce scraps. For a few years, I owned a pet shop. I had birds, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, fish, snakes, and of all things rats. I raised all my own stock. Now THERE is a dream job. I had to sell the shop when my Grandmother got sick as I was her primary care giver. I miss it. Ok, enough for now. Later

BJ
Happy to hear that. Know that I will be praying for you on the 5th. Wow, that is crazy weather. It has been trying to snow here. It rains, snows, and then hails. It's weird. Hope that you are being able to stay warm.

Well thank you. I was wondering if people are ok with me posting on here about them. They really are a great pet. I am a little worried about PB, she is losing even more hair. I hope that with her second dose of meds next Sat it will help the hair to start growing back. Wow, I couldn't imagine having that many. I would love it though. I tried to get the grocery stores to help me out, but they can't because of liability. :( It would have helped me out. You know what's funny? People find out what I am doing, and think I am kidding. They think that I am crazy. Oh well. That's me, crazy B. lol Well I can't wait to hear the update about how everything goes for you. When you get a chance, please update us. Take care.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey All :frow

Well, we didn't blow away, the goat huts and chicken coops are still standing, but we thought it was gonna be a close thing for a while. MAN did the wind blow here yesterday and all night. Finally died down about 4am. Now it is cold but sunny.

I am a little concerned about our baby Elizabeth. She was the first born and smallest of the trips. You know how you just get a feeling that something is "off"? Well, she is acting like she is really hungry. She is eating, but with three of them, they do fight a bit for a place at the table. She is kind of "hunched" when she stands, like she is cold..she is eating hay, peeing and pooping ok, but just not as active as the other two, and not playing like she was. I am thinking a dose of Selenium and Vitamin E would not be amiss. Is there anything else anybody can suggest? I want to nip anything in the bud, but cannot really put my finger on what I am seeing. It could all just be her personality, as she is the quietest of the bunch and always has been a little more "delicate" in her build and looks.

On a different note, I am waiting for the sun to get as warm as it is going to get this afternoon and then I am going to TRY again to get some hoof trimming done. All set with a brand new set of trimmers, and DH is here to help. Hopefully it will warm up a bit yet and make it bearable out there.

DH built a mineral box for the far pen this morning, so now they all have minerals available at all times. They took turns lining up for there first try at the box. It was funny watching them. Eli was last in line, waited patiently for about 10 minutes, and finally had enough. He just started pushing like a bulldozer, slowly and gently moved everybody else out of the way and stuck his head in the box and stayed there for about 10 minutes. He was like savoring them, licking and smacking his lips. He just cracks me up.

Hope everybody has a great day, and if you have any suggestions for Elizabeth, please let me know. Thanks

BJ

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hopefully everything is well with her, I sure wish I could have some advice for you, but I sure don't. Sorry. Your getting closer to your date. Hope all goes well with that as well. Happy to hear that everything survived the winds. That's great about the new box. Maybe some pictures of Eli doing the cute things? Sure would love to see them, if it's not a pain. Take care, and thanks for the updates.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Good evening all, hope everybody had a good day.

DH got done work early today, and it was nice out so we FINALLY got all of the goats feet done. They were in better shape overall than I thought they were going to be as I have been trying to get them done for a month now.

The DiMethox arrived from Jeffers today, so tomorrow the babies get started on their 5 day treatment. Saturday or Sunday we will be doing the babies CDT shots, and with that done, I should be ok for the duration of my recovery as far as extra things the goats need.

I am still concerned about Elizabeth tho. She is just off. She eats good, is in good body condition, pooping and peeing fine, eats hay and a small amount of grain. She just doesn't play, isn't as peppy as the other two, and when she nurses she is tentative. The other two jam their heads into Elsie's udder to the point they lift her off the ground. Also they will not take NO for an answer when Mom steps over them they follow her. Elizabeth approaches the teat tentatively, and while she follows Mom, she is not aggressive and when Elsie does stop and let them nurse, she isn't fighting the other two off for her turn. I do see her nursing, and she seems to be getting enough, but her actions just concern me. Not sure what to do for her.

On a lighter note, the "Big Goats" got their own play gym over the weekend, and I snapped these as they were checking it out.

4738_big_goats_play_pen_022.jpg

4738_big_goats_play_pen_021.jpg

This was taken last week while the heat barrel was still in the kidding pen, and could be used as a perch to look out the window. Thought this was cute.
4738_big_goats_play_pen_004.jpg

And last but certainly not least, these are our LGDs. That is little guard dogs. Foxy, the long haired one is a toy fox terrier, and Spike is a Jack Russel. They are our babies and as I type this they are both curled up on "Daddy's" lap snoring like buzz saws.
4738_big_goats_play_pen_007.jpg

All for now...

BJ

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It is 2am, and I am awake because my heart is breaking. My Munchie kitty is dying. She is an almost 16 year old Munchkin cat. For anybody that doesn't know, a munchkin is a dwarf, little tiny short legs, body size of about a 6 month old kitten. She is coal black with one little tiny white spot under her chin. One of the side affects of the dwarfism is that they have trouble withdrawing their claws, so they "stick fast" to everything....like your leg, your arm, your jeans, etc. For years we have called her Velcro Kitty. About a year ago, she developed cancer. We decided with the vet that as long as she was not in pain, we would let nature take it's course as the cancer was all through her and there was no treatment. She has had a pretty good last year. She ate a good supper tonight, and sat on our laps for a while. When the DH went to bed around 9:30 she got up and went out into the kitchen. About 11pm, I heard her calling, and went to see what was up. She was staggering around the dining room like she couldn't see. I picked her up and she went quiet, so I don't think she is in pain, but has obviously had a stroke. Right now, she is in her bed, wrapped in a towel and is barely breathing but hanging in there. I am sitting here with a snotty nose, red sore eyes, and sobbing like a fool. She has been the best cat ever. Not once in 16 years has she gotten up on a table, counter or anyplace she wasn't supposed to be. She comes when you call her name, and loved us unconditionally no matter how many times we called her Velcro, or how many annoying puppies and kittens we left invade her house. Our house and hearts are going to be very empty and quiet with her gone. Especially the quiet part as to get a Munchkin you breed a Munchkin to an oriental shorthair cat...or in other words an unmarked siamese. Any of you that have ever had a siamese know what I am talking about with a female siamese. Because of the dwarfism, her "insides" are very small, and they do not recommend spaying for them. Her feet have never touched the outside of the house, and she has never had a kitten, but she sure could make her presence known when she was in heat. I just needed someplace to be right now, so I am sorry that you all got nominated. DH has finally gone back to bed as he has to get up for work early, so ......

Remuda1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am so sorry about your little cat. At sixteen years, it's obvious that you gave her a wonderful home and life. That's something that you will always be able to take comfort in. This is always the most difficult part of having wonderful animal companions in our lives, but part of our responsibilities as stewards. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

God bless you.

dreamriver

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
hugs... take joy in knowing that 'velcro kitty' had a wonderful well loved life with you, she's always going to be a part of your life, but in your heart instead of the house.

my thoughts are with you.