• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

MamaMage

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey you guys! I'm Jess from South Carolina, and I'm totally new to the goat life! Although I havent gotten any goats yet I was hoping that I could get lots of info from you professionals before the time comes ;) my husband and I just got our place in the country FINALLY and I'm so excited to get goats I can hardly stand it! Sadly all of the baby goats are being born NOW and their area here isn't quite ready..one question I have is, when our place is ready in a few months for the goats, should I go ahead and purchase "adult" goats this summer? I kinda wanted babies that I could "snuggle" and raise up super sweet but I know more babies won't really be available until spring of 2018! Are there adult goats out there that I could purchase that are already super sweet? This may be a silly question

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The advantage of buying adult does this summer is that they will be ready to breed in the fall and you will have your own kids next spring. The disadvantage of looking for does in the summer is that they don't seem to pop up as often. You may have to drive a bit. What kind of predators do you have? Will you have to worry about the kids' safety while setting up their area? Adults are less likely to get sick and die suddenly than kids. You would have an opportunity to learn more and not lose any kids if you start with adults. There are other things to consider but that is a start.

MamaMage

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The advantage of buying adult does this summer is that they will be ready to breed in the fall and you will have your own kids next spring. The disadvantage of looking for does in the summer is that they don't seem to pop up as often. You may have to drive a bit. What kind of predators do you have? Will you have to worry about the kids' safety while setting up their area? Adults are less likely to get sick and die suddenly than kids. You would have an opportunity to learn more and not lose any kids if you start with adults. There are other things to consider but that is a start.
Yay these are exactly the answers I need to get my brain working towards what I really need to do! We aren't really sure exactly what predators we have but I'm guessing cyotes most likely? Thanks so much for your reply!

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We got goats before we had everything set up. Our once beautiful landscaping became goatscaped... :lol: Not being ready really makes things harder. But, I am not sure I would do it differently either... The goatscaping is what got my husband more willing to help with barn remodel and fencing. ;)

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NH! What breed of goats are you looking for? Nigerian Dwarf, Nubian, Boer... All are year round breeders (I am probably forgetting some), so theoretically you could get kids in the fall. Are you looking to milk? I would agree, starting with a few does might be your best bet.

MamaMage

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome from NH! What breed of goats are you looking for? Nigerian Dwarf, Nubian, Boer... All are year round breeders (I am probably forgetting some), so theoretically you could get kids in the fall. Are you looking to milk? I would agree, starting with a few does might be your best bet.
I'm not specifically looking for one certain breed, these goats will be our sweet pets mostly, although I would love to breed them eventually to have some sweet little babies running around haha but that's great to know that some breeds are available during fall!

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@NH homesteader, You mean there are breeds other than Nubian's? :hide

;)I understand some Nubian's can breed year round but I don't know anyone personally who has been successful with that with Nubian's. I always considered them seasonal breeders. That is how it always works out for us and the other Nubian owners I know. Can't believe I forgot to ask what type of goats OP wanted :he

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol! Interesting, I'm not into Nubians so I have no first hand knowledge. Side note, I've been looking around at breeders in TN because we might move there, and it seems like everyone has Nubians! It's crazy!

Latest posts