• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

MamaMage

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My grandmother's neghbor has ALOT of nubians and I'm so in love with them!!!! They're the reason I want goats ;)

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Lol! Interesting, I'm not into Nubians so I have no first hand knowledge. Side note, I've been looking around at breeders in TN because we might move there, and it seems like everyone has Nubians! It's crazy!

Funny how I used to know a lot more about the different breeds. Now I know a lot about Nubians and have the bad habit of not paying much attention to other breeds! I do love my Nubians!

MamaMage

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Funny how I used to know a lot more about the different breeds. Now I know a lot about Nubians and have the bad habit of not paying much attention to other breeds! I do love my Nubians!
tell me all about nubians!!! :D

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well... When you are taking them from the pasture to the barn, the easiest way is with a bucket of grain while you are on a 4 wheeler. Then you get the most wonderful view of bouncing, leaping, kicking goats with those beautiful long ears flapping and waving all over the place. Often in unison! Its the best reminder of why you get up early and milk in the mornings and why you go out and milk at night when your tired. :D =D (Just don't run into fences because your watching the goats behind you not where you are going...:hide)

Oh yeah, and they are very friendly but not as friendly as La Mancha's (I think LM's are too friendly for me). My buck and girls just loves hugs, they will push their head into your chest and under your arm and just sit there. They are stubborn and intelligent but mine all know their turns on the milk stand and have been (for me) easy to train when FF. I get a gallon of milk a day on average with not much grain because they are on a good pasture with lots of brush. They have nice high percentage of butter fat and make a great cheese!! If I don't make cheese to take out on the lake every weekend all our lake friends bug us to be sure we bring it next time!

Those are some of my favorite parts of Nubians. If you have more specific questions ask and I will answer if I know.

MamaMage

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well... When you are taking them from the pasture to the barn, the easiest way is with a bucket of grain while you are on a 4 wheeler. Then you get the most wonderful view of bouncing, leaping, kicking goats with those beautiful long ears flapping and waving all over the place. Often in unison! Its the best reminder of why you get up early and milk in the mornings and why you go out and milk at night when your tired. :D =D (Just don't run into fences because your watching the goats behind you not where you are going...:hide)

Oh yeah, and they are very friendly but not as friendly as La Mancha's (I think LM's are too friendly for me). My buck and girls just loves hugs, they will push their head into your chest and under your arm and just sit there. They are stubborn and intelligent but mine all know their turns on the milk stand and have been (for me) easy to train when FF. I get a gallon of milk a day on average with not much grain because they are on a good pasture with lots of brush. They have nice high percentage of butter fat and make a great cheese!! If I don't make cheese to take out on the lake every weekend all our lake friends bug us to be sure we bring it next time!

Those are some of my favorite parts of Nubians. If you have more specific questions ask and I will answer if I know.
awwww! ugh im so ready to have goaties! i cant wait to see them bouncing around! ill be sure to try the 4 wheeler trick! ;D

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
First & foremost . . . :frow :welcome from the great (big), beautiful state of Texas, where lots of awesome BYH members reside.

You have several great goat people in the beautiful state of North Carolina. @OneFineAcre already chimed in. We also have @Southern by choice and @goatwhisperer near the Raleigh area. I'm sure there are more. But, for the life of me, I can't remember who.

If you aren't sure what you ultimately want to do, with your goats (pets, meat goats, dairy goats, showing in competition, angora fleece goats, etc.), starting with a few of whatever breed floats your boat, goats, is a good way to start. You don't even, necessarily need to start with does. It sounds like Nubians is the direction you might want to go in.

I knew I wanted to eventually get dairy goats. But, I wasn't ready to get does, in the beginning, as I had a lot to learn about keeping healthy, happy goats. I started with 4 wethered (castrated) Nigerian Dwarf (ND) goats, mainly to help clear out the brush undergrowth in our woods. We were planning to perimeter fence part of our 5 wooded acres, so the goats could get into the woods to clear brush.

We are both retired, and are able to do a lot on the homestead. However, fencing is a bit taxing for us. Try as we might, we haven't been able to find someone to help us with the fencing, and we havent gotten the fencing done.

We have been here 2+ years, have learned oodles about raising goats, and are ready to move onto dairy goats, so I can start making cheese and butter. After considerable research, I decided I wanted Mini-Manchas, which are a ND/LaMancha cross, which produces a nice high fat goat milk, with lower quanties than full size goats.

I wasn't able to find a local MiniMancha breeder locally. But, connected with @goatgurl, here on BYH. She breeds LaMancha goats. So, we arranged for me to buy a couple of her LaMancha does, which have already been bred to her beautiful LaMancha buck. We are now waiting for them to have their kids (freshen), so they start to produce milk, and once the kids are old enough, I can start milking them.

I'm glad I waited a while, to get our dairy goats, as it gave me time to learn a lot about raising goats. Part of that learning process was meeting other goat owners, here on BYH, and learn from what they write about their experiences with dairy goats.

Another suggestion I would make, is that, if you have predators in your area, you get yourself a couple LGDs (Livestock Guardian Dogs), to protect your goats. We have a lot of coyotes and Bobcats, Hawks. We got our LGDs before we even got our goats, and have never had an incident with predators bothering our goats, chickens & ducks.

Our Vet raises meat goats. He told me that he used to lose several kids a year to predators, until a stray Pyrenese female showed up on his property, and refused to leave. Since she showed up, she took on the job of guarding his goats and he hasn't lost one kid goat.

Many goat owners, who also have LGDs, on BYH, will tell you that it is best to have two LGDs, as predators will distract a single dog, and then send others in the pack, to attack the goats and/or chickens. When you have two dogs, one patrols the perimeter, while the other protects the livestock.

You are embarking on an exciting journey. I wish you well!

Last edited:

MamaMage

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
First & foremost . . . :frow :welcome from the great (big), beautiful state of Texas, where lots of awesome BYH members reside.

You have several great goat people in the beautiful state of North Carolina. @OneFineAcre already chimed in. We also have @Southern by choice and @goatwhisperer near the Raleigh area. I'm sure there are more. But, for the life of me, I can't remember who.

If you aren't sure what you ultimately want to do, with your goats (pets, meat goats, dairy goats, showing in competition, angora fleece goats, etc.), starting with a few of whatever breed floats your boat, goats, is a good way to start. You don't even, necessarily need to start with does. It sounds like Nubians is the direction you might want to go in.

I knew I wanted to eventually get dairy goats. But, I wasn't ready to get does, in the beginning, as I had a lot to learn about keeping healthy, happy goats. I started with 4 wethered (castrated) Nigerian Dwarf (ND) goats, mainly to help clear out the brush undergrowth in our woods. We were planning to perimeter fence part of our 5 wooded acres, so the goats could get into the woods to clear brush.

We are both retired, and are able to do a lot on the homestead. However, fencing is a bit taxing for us. Try as we might, we haven't been able to find someone to help us with the fencing, and we havent gotten the fencing done.

We have been here 2+ years, have learned oodles about raising goats, and are ready to move onto dairy goats, so I can start making cheese and butter. After considerable research, I decided I wanted Mini-Manchas, which are a ND/LaMancha cross, which produces a nice high fat goat milk, with lower quanties than full size goats.

I wasn't able to find a local MiniMancha breeder locally. But, connected with @goatgurl, here on BYH. She breeds LaMancha goats. So, we arranged for me to buy a couple of her LaMancha does, which have already been bred to her beautiful LaMancha buck. We are now waiting for them to have their kids (freshen), so they start to produce milk, and once the kids are old enough, I can start milking them.

I'm glad I waited a while, to get our dairy goats, as it gave me time to learn a lot about raising goats. Part of that learning process was meeting other goat owners, here on BYH, and learn from what they write about their experiences with dairy goats.

Another suggestion I would make, is that, if you have predators in your area, you get yourself a couple LGDs (Livestock Guardian Dogs), to protect your goats. We have a lot of coyotes and Bobcats, Hawks. We got our LGDs before we even got our goats, and have never had an incident with predators bothering our goats, chickens & ducks.

Our Vet raises meat goats. He told me that he used to lose several kids a year to predators, until a stray Pyrenese female showed up on his property, and refused to leave. Since she showed up, she took on the job of guarding his goats and he hasn't lost one kid goat.

Many goat owners, who also have LGDs, on BYH, will tell you that it is best to have two LGDs, as predators will distract a single dog, and then send others in the pack, to attack the goats and/or chickens. When you have two dogs, one patrols the perimeter, while the other protects the livestock.

You are embarking on an exciting journey. I wish you well!
thank you THANK YOU! great info, im glad you tagged those other carolinians!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH! As stated, lots of great goat folks here who will help in any way they can if you have questions or a problem. Quite a few are close by to you as well. I'm also in East TX and will be getting my bred Lamancha does (x3) here in a month or so. I have my 1st LGD (Mel in my avatar). I believe most standard sized goats (full size) are seasonal breeders, coming into heat generally from ~August through January to February... Much depends on how far north or south they're located. It's a fall thing... And most bucks will go into rut in the fall regardless of breed. While the smaller/dwarf breeds (Nigerian Dwarf, Pygmy, etc) tend to be year round breeders coming into heat about every 21 days. Crosses between the two could go either way depending on what DNA/genes they inherit.

Since many folks breed to have their kids in the spring, weather getting warmer, but not as many bug problems and not too hot, there should be lots of kids available right through till summer. This will be more true if you don't want to bottle feed, and want weaned kids. Typically the kids will get weaned anywhere from 8-16 weeks after birth. So even if the kid was born in March, it won't be weaned till May-July some time. You'll want to get a deposit on the kid though so it isn't sold long before being weaned.. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a seller willing to sell a doe with kid(s) at her side so you'll be able to milk right away as well as have the babies to cuddle and raise.

You can always start very basic with a "dry lot" area initially to keep them in while you're fencing in a larger pasture (or more than one) area for them. Just a basic 50-60 square feet per animal would be sufficient as a holding area for them until they get comfortable with you so you know they'll come to you when you rattle a can of grain at them. That way you'll be able to call them back to their night time safe holding area to protect them from predators.

Whatever you decide, glad to have you with us! Make yourself at home and browse around the threads. There's a wealth of info and experience/knowledge shared for your perusal. Hope you'll update us as you progress and share some pics when the time comes!

Latest posts