Mammoth Donkey

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mammoth Donkey

Currently working on the breed page for it. If you have any pictures of jack, jennets, offspring (mules fine so long its a mammoth donkey mule) please post. It must be your picture, don't want to be sent to jail for copywright-ness. They don't have to be registered or nothing, but please only post pure breeds or good examples of the breed! Don't wanna go around showing pic's of a donkey that looks like a cow, now do we? LOL

Try not to chit-chat too much, don't want to go digging throuhg mountains of words for the right pic's

Thanks in advance :clap

allbyme

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have some goods pics but new to the group. I can't seem to figure out how to post them. Can anyone help me ?

Godsgrl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
allbyme said:
I have some goods pics but new to the group. I can't seem to figure out how to post them. Can anyone help me ?
I believe you have to post 10 times before you can put pictures up for the group. Go around, answer some questions, greet some people, you'll be there in no time. :)

allbyme

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So nice to find this board...gonna try to post a pic of my Mammoth ( Clarence ) and I..]
8752_me_n_clarence_03-13.jpg

I'm currently filling out DNA forms. There are two color options to choose from...Sorrel/red factor or No-light points/NLP. My belief is he is brown/choclate with light points but this is not an available option. Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly. Thanks !

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I guess I would include a photo with your form, to show he is not of the
colors listed. He may be a cross, which is where the DNA will help sort
things out. The only other Mammoth Jack I saw, was a red one! Stood
about 14 hands with THE BIGGEST ears ever!!

I have seen a couple of the Poitou A$$es, which are also a LARGE donkey
in colors like your animal. Prized for the larger size Mules they could
produce in Europe, but extremely hairy animals. Dreadlocks for sure!
Lovely temperments, and squeezably soft, listed in the Rare Breeds as
very endangered with such low numbers.

http://www.rightpet.com/Livestock-poultryDetail/poitou-donkey

If you put your cursor on the small photos on the right of the HAIRY
donkey, they enlarge. The full side-shot donkey is what I saw Poitou's
looking like during summer shedding and being groomed regularly. The
ones I knew had access to a shed, so they could go inside and not get
drenched to the skin. Donkey hair doesn't always shed rain or wet well,
so donkey can get wet to the skin and chilled, then sick. My friend
used the blower side of her shop-vac to get dirt out of thick donkey hair,
clean to the skin which brushes might not be able to reach. Also good
for drying donkeys off too. She hauled her pair of geldings to a lot of
places to exhibit them, get them seen as part of a Rare Breed display.
Her guys were great breed ambassadors, politely meeting thousands of
people over the years.

Anyway, I know the Poitou A$$ was used in the past for breeding mules,
other large donkeys, so yours might get his coloring frim them. They
are referred to as Poitou A$$es, rather than the more common donkey name.

Your guy looks quite handsome, and SO nice to see one being used instead
of just being a breeding animal with few manners.

allbyme

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My apologies to CochinBrahmaLover for the chit chat but I'm so new here not sure where else to discuss this awesome boy I have. I will try to begin a new post right after I send a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to goodhors ! Goodhorse the link you sent me was spot on my big guy. I purchased this animal directly from a kill buyer two years ago w/o any education or experience with donkeys. Clarence has been a blessing over n over ! Thanks again n hope to keep in touch :D

allbyme

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So now I'm trying to upload more pics and my files read JPEG tho the site states ( application/octet-stream) and will not accept them ? Any suggestions anyone ?

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
allbyme said:
My apologies to CochinBrahmaLover for the chit chat but I'm so new here not sure where else to discuss this awesome boy I have. I will try to begin a new post right after I send a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to goodhors ! Goodhorse the link you sent me was spot on my big guy. I purchased this animal directly from a kill buyer two years ago w/o any education or experience with donkeys. Clarence has been a blessing over n over ! Thanks again n hope to keep in touch :D
No prob. May I add your picture to the page? Full credit to you, of course. He is lovely ;3 Due to me doing the donkey pages, I fell in love with them <3 xoxo

allbyme

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry for the late response and sure thing please post Clarences' pics, I'd love to have them shared :) I've also just been contacted by the DNA Pet Services of AZ on his test. I guess they only test for color? I did send in a photo and sample but did not mark which test to be performed due to uncertainty myself. There are only two options available to select from NLP or Sorrell, neither are of his description :( I'm really bummed already bout the testing, I was hoping to find that he was a Poitou for definite...LOL I guess I will respond to their email by asking for their advice with their own question/suggestion. :/
Anyone have any ideas for identifying breeds in donkeys?:rolleyes: