Man Made "pond" for goats (and chickens!)

GoatFaerie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok, so I've decided on Kinders and Im gonna get 2-3. 2 females for sure, perhaps a whether as well. I'm building out an area for them as well as a hutch for about 6-7 chickens and plan to get my hobbie farm going some time this spring.

I've been thinking about making a little man made pond for them, perhaps a burried kiddie pool or a tarp and stone lined hole. Not sure exactly which. I realize when it get really cold (not often here in my part of Oregon) that they will want and need warmer water.

What do you think? Has anyone tried this before? Are they just gonna turn it into a mudbath?

GoatFaerie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It looks like this may cause an issue with mosquitoes too! Yuck :( will the chickens eat the larva off the water, or is there something else I can do?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would just go with water buckets. Not only a mosquito problem but the goats would probably poop and pee in the pond which would make it very unsafe for them to drink.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
ducks are only things that benifit from a pond IMO. just use a tub you can dump and keep clean

GoatFaerie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Guess that answers that question, no pond it is :) Thanks all :)