Mange

Sophienee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My saga continues with these sick little doelings. Can I treat mange at home? What do you all use? One of mine has it and the vet is being super hard to get a hold of. Of course.

TIA

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry you're dealing with this. I can't help but hope someone who can stops by soon.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is it confirmed mange? Or is this term being used generically?

Demodex or Sarcoptes?

Permethrins 10% concentrate mixed according to directions is effective. It is also on label.
If severe demodex often vets will use Ivermectin.

If infection is severe you may need to give some supplements as well.

Sophienee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Not confirmed. Can't get ahold of the vet. Story of my life. They were given Safeguard 3 weeks ago (due to a HUGE parasite load they came with). Vet suspected mange due to hair loss around eyes and mouth, but wanted to wait til they were done being treated for varies other ailments these poor little girls have been dealing with.

Today I send a fecal sample out to test again and check the parasite load and see if the safeguard did its job.

The hair has grown back but she has this quarter size patch of really thick, flaky, white dandruff looking stuff on her side and is not as perky as I think she should be. Well they never really have been as perky as they should be, I don't think, but like I said they have had an assault on their little selves since before they came here.

Treating for mange with Permethrins ok if its not confirmed?

Thanks for the replies so far. So helpful.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, treat with the permethrins concentrate- if you search the forums I have given detailed instructions of how we do it.
Also, if the wormload was that bad they are probably extremely deficient and anemic. Look at Red Cell for horses. This has everything in it to boost the immune system and give iron as well.
If her parasite load was high even after a 3 day course of Safeguard you will need to continue treatment to treat the life cycle.

Most dewormers only kill 4th stage larvae.

Sophienee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've given the girls Nutri Drench for added vits and such. Also they have had injectable vit B.

Sent a fecal sample to retest this morning so we will see after that comes back in a few days.

Seriously considering contacting the gal I got them from and giving her a piece of my mind since they were so sick when we got them. She had to have known as well as her herd has GOT to be in bad shape. Grrrr

Also I'm trying to get them in for a weight check this week. One was just over 4lbs last we checked a couple weeks ago. :( So tiny.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The Nutri drench can help in an immediate sense especially for sugars it however is not sufficient for anemia. There are very few minerals/vitamins in nutri drench.

Just out of curiousity why did you get them if they were in that condition? How long have you had them? How old were they? What breed?

If they are that small you probably can't even give the red cell.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also, if they are extremely young you may need another option for mange treatment. You may need to look for another vet if the one you have cannot see the goat or respond.