Many a Question about Bunnies

Sama_Lama

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Housing?
I live in southern AZ and I'm looking to start raising meat rabbits. I currently have backyard chickens and I was hoping to house the bunnies in the coop with the chickens. The coop is 7'x12' and 8' tall with a 6'x12' run and I planned to attach the bunny cages to the walls inside. Are there any potential problems with this set up? I was thinking of starting with a buck and 3 girls and I hadn't decided yet between the NZ and Calif (any strong opinions either way?).
As far as housing the animals I want to be sure they can handle the heat. The coop is insulated and if it does get too hot we will put the fan in there (it is well ventilated) but we do get temps of 115 degrees in the summer.

Dispatch?
I plan to raise and butcher the bunnies myself and wanted an opinion on a product I saw called the "rabbit wringer". I seams easy to use and effective but I wanted real live opinions on it before getting into this whole thing, not just testimonials.

Meat?
I also plan to use the meat primarily for my dogs but anything I don't use for them I would like to sell. Would their be special requirements to sell them (butchered and dressed) to people for pet consumption only?

I think that is all my pressing questions!

Lil-patch-of-heaven

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Some people report success with keeping rabbits and chickens together. One of the things you probably need to worry most about is the buildup of ammonia in the coop. Does your current setup allow for good control of this?

And I'd REALLY be concerned about rabbits in a coop at 115 degrees. It's been getting in the lower 90s in the shade up to the 100s here and my coop is too hot for rabbits. All those bodies in there will generate heat too. A lot depends on your setup.

My rabbits (NZW and Calis) are in very deep shade with wire on all sides (raised roof) so they are open to all breezes. I add a 2-liter bottle of frozen water at least once a day to each cage. I've already seen stress in my rabbits and I'm not 100% confident they will make it through the summer here. Though humidity also plays a role, and I'm guessing yours is lower than here in east Texas.

I prefer my Calis as far as a breed. They seem to take the heat better and are larger. My exp is limited to only my own rabbits though. I don't know about AZ laws. Maybe someone else here will. But it's going to be regulated mostly on the state level I would think. If there are laws concerning it, the local enforcement can make a difference. I know people in goats who have trouble with local enforcement even though they ARE within the law. But meat for animal consumption may have lax laws. Just not sure.

Good luck figuring out what will work for you. :)

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have had rabbits for a few months now and also have chickens together. They are however, not in the same shed. Look at my set-up and not the hanging cages and I have a good solid tree line and tons of more shade trees behind the shed. It has been in the 90's here in MO with the heat index in well over the 100 mark. I to am using frozen water bottles to help keep them happier. In my yard the wind comes from the back........ there is a 4"x12' open vent across the top under the soffit area and then a 2' gap from the ground to the bottom of the back board. All other 3 sides are open and I use tarps to protect the sides from rain or other weather.

1521_rbbtshd61010.jpeg

I think if I was in your area I would have the back much more open then mine but still have the ability to close up the other sides for storms.
My chickens go under the hanging cages and dust bathe, scratch around for bugs and eat undigested food in the poo.......... and of course I am sure getting their fair share of my red wrigglers. For me, this is working great and keeping odars down as well.

The lady w/4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits, their kits and a lizard

RabbitMage

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Most rabbit breeders I know do not recommend housing rabbits and chickens together. There's concern over disease transmission, injury, air quality (rabbit's respiratory systems are very fragile), and other things.

Temperatures over 85 degrees can be fatal over an extended period of time. If you want to have success keeping rabbits, you need to find a good, reliable way to keep them cool. Here in Central CA, our rabbits are in the foaling stall of a cinder block barn with a swamp cooler. And a back up generator, just in case the power goes out.

lklisk

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi

They are all correct. i dont think your bunnys could take the heat. You might be able to put them there in the winter. Saw dust on the coop floor will absorb the amonia smell. During the heat of the day they will have to have at least a fan and some ice water even if you have them outside in the shade.