Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mr. Snickers got his head stuck in fence gate trying to get in with girls that didn't go out to graze this morning. I hard to cut him loose.

Bruno was a good boy. Kept sheep from crowding me then ran around pen when I whistled for him. As soon as he left gate area, sheep flowed in. I need to figure out herding commands...

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Add another 1.4 miles searching for a missing lamb. :hit The smaller twin (black collar) is just gone.

Both twins were out in pasture with mom when I checked at lunch. When I went out for night feed all the sheep were lying down calmly under tree near shed. Aria only had bigger twin (orange collar) with her. I got everybody in and fed. None of the sheep accounted for have any cuts, scratches, etc or acting nervy. I quartered the front 4 acres with flashlight looking for anything. No body, blood trails, nothing. Bruno spent day inside with husband except for brief potty breaks so he's not likely culprit.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry you lost a lamb. Could it have gotten through the pasture fence somehow? If it got out it would have been calling and Aria would have been answering if it wandered off. May an eagle? Black headed vulture? Stray dogs or coyotes? The lamb was small anything could have carried it off. If Bruno was inside the house all day he wouldn't have known to drive off any predator.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mr. Snickers got his head stuck in fence gate trying to get in with girls that didn't go out to graze this morning. I hard to cut him loose.

Bruno was a good boy. Kept sheep from crowding me then ran around pen when I whistled for him. As soon as he left gate area, sheep flowed in. I need to figure out herding commands...
Really? In a nutshell
Flanks are
Clockwise around the stock “Go By”
Counterclockwise around the stock “Away”
Needed commands
Stop, Lie Down, Sit (something to stop motion
“Walk up” move straight towards the livestock.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Really? In a nutshell
Flanks are
Clockwise around the stock “Go By”
Counterclockwise around the stock “Away”
Needed commands
Stop, Lie Down, Sit (something to stop motion
“Walk up” move straight towards the livestock.
How would you get sheep dog to:
- circle around behind you, not the sheep?
- backing towards you letting sheep advance?
- go into pen and drive sheep out towards you?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you can find no trace of the missing lamb, my guess is an eagle and it will be back. Start looking for an older dog, already trained. Watch Craigslist, not just around your area, but how far you are willing to drive. Watch FB groups and ask if anyone has a sheep LGD.

You don’t have time to train a puppy and it might be prey for a hungry predator. You need a dog that already knows the job.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some of the TX humane & rescues have had some trained out there. I was looking for & found a few -- all TX 🤔 I know about possible issues with such avenues but, with droughts & flock/herd sell offs, SOME are out there looking for work. So don't immediately discount that source. 🤷😍

One here in VA -- free -- older couple sold out herd. I was tempted but, so far not the predators to need. Just need one to stop jump outs 🤣. But, jumpers could be sold! Added fence height helping.

I'm so sorry about the lamb loss 🫂

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some of the TX humane & rescues have had some trained out there. I was looking for & found a few -- all TX 🤔 I know about possible issues with such avenues but, with droughts & flock/herd sell offs, SOME are out there looking for work. So don't immediately discount that source. 🤷😍

One here in VA -- free -- older couple sold out herd. I was tempted but, so far not the predators to need. Just need one to stop jump outs 🤣. But, jumpers could be sold! Added fence height helping.

I'm so sorry about the lamb loss 🫂
Do you have a link so she can look at the dogs?