Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
How would you get sheep dog to:
- circle around behind you, not the sheep?
- backing towards you letting sheep advance?
- go into pen and drive sheep out towards you?
Guessing on what you want for behind you and backing towards you to let sheep advance - thinking you don’t want the sheep on top of you (like when feeding) have the dog stay with you at your side. I’d then back up with the dog to let the pressure off to let the sheep advance.
Going into a pen I say “Get in Go By”
or “Get in Away” followed by a Stay as the sheep leave the pen. I actually do this everyday but since it’s routine I rarely even say anything. For an untrained and not used yet dog those are kind of advanced things.
I actually have a command to get in front of the sheep and then ease pressure to let the sheep advance on the dog. The situation for that is heading back to the barn from grazing, it’s uphill with a couple turns and I don’t want the sheep charging back to the barn. I tell Obi to back or get back up and it works out. Zo isn’t up to this yet so I have to manage the front.
To teach the flanks I have a dog circle and circle as I label the direction (Go By or Away) I change their direction and also add in stops. It’s monotonous and boring for all. But of course a youngster will do some fly bys, zooms, and sigh splits. It’s all part of the process.
I do start teaching stops on lead and reward and recall on lead and reward. When I was first learning I was told the work is the reward, but I’ve found calm easy praise and high value treats get you further faster and with a stronger foundation. Of course I’m working with loose eyed breeds (non border collies) so there’s that.
If I guessed wrong on the situation you wanted let me know 😊

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those vultures are known to attack and grab/kill calves being born, or just born. True, often still wet -- and the lamb can run but, will it? Not sure how much they can lift (or if they tend to) but an eagle can easily grab & fly away with that 21#. 😳

Fortunately I've only seen turkey vultures here. Smaller, less aggressive and more inclined to search for decaing matter. If the others move in, I'd HAVE to get LGDs. To many does birthing for less. There are a few resident eagle pairs within a range of 50-60 miles around here. So far the fish in multiple waterways & rodents/rabbits in crop fields have kept them happy.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
How big of a "look but don't touch" pen would you recommend for the LDG? This would be mostly used during introduction to sheep, time out for stupid behaviors, or lambing if dog tries to lick babies to death. Should it be in sheep shed or just nearby? Location ideas:
- Outside south end of sheep shed, no access to inside so need separate shelter.
- Outside south end of sheep shed with access to inside.
- Kennel run set up under trees across isle from sheep shed so they could see in.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I have door cut and old sheep crate securing it at the moment. Next step is getting inside barrier across. It will have door so once LGD is doing well, they can access sheep. Green blob is a dog loo or other shelter box. Outside pen will have gravity feed waterer.
P_20231206_184505~2.jpgP_20231206_184432~2.jpg