Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
All according to how wet, open the bales up in the barn and separate the sections "leaves" and it will dry out to some extent... all according to how wet it got. Feed as much as you can in the next few days, but if not soaked then it will dry considerable if you open up the bales and spread them out.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
The boys got a couple hours in the paddock today. Aria spent the entire time yelling "Stop eating my grass!" Snip and Panda both encountered the evil fence. They did find the courage to come back out and get treats though.
20211205_091254.jpg
20211205_091656.jpg

Snip also spent a fair bit of time chatting up Aria.
20211205_085102.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The thorns will puncture tractor tires. Ask me how I know.

The wood is extremely hard and is rot resistant. So if you have any the would make a fence post, use them! You can put them between T-posts to help cut expenses.

It’s just me, but I really hate those thorny things. I’d cut them down, use what I could for posts, even crooked or curved ones, poison the stumps and burn the branches.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
The thorns will puncture tractor tires. Ask me how I know.

The wood is extremely hard and is rot resistant. So if you have any the would make a fence post, use them! You can put them between T-posts to help cut expenses.

It’s just me, but I really hate those thorny things. I’d cut them down, use what I could for posts, even crooked or curved ones, poison the stumps and burn the branches.
There are varieties of honey locust that don't have thorns, they are supposed to be good for firewood (via coppicing), fodder (leaves & seed pods), fences, tool handles, etc. I got two planted last year as bare root, they grew maybe 3-4 feet taller in the year.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
For the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would plant the thorny varieties on purpose.
@Baymule The stuff towards front of land is either 8+ inches around or under an inch thick. The few massive trees are staying and the rest is bonfire fodder. This is the pile from a 20' x 20' paddock. And there are several trees still in there.
View attachment 88426
Do your research for what shade trees grow well in your area. Plant some for shade. Stay away from Bradford pear, they bloom beautifully in the spring, but are considered an invasive. Plus the "pears" are about the size of a marble.

Looks like you are working hard to reclaim the land for pasture. Keep it up, you WILL win!

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule It's not the tractor tires I'm worried about. A 1.5" thorn went thru my shoe into my heel! 🤬

I'm thinking I should give the boys a CDT booster since I'm sure the sheep are going to end up stepping on them to. I need to work on hoof trimming handling.