Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would put the house closer to the road, barn behind the house with access to all pastures.. with all the cut up pastures, you will be hauling a lot of water or laying out a lot of pipe. Use the loafing shed as a pasture for weaning lambs. Build a new and better barn more laid out to what you need. You could use it to start with, keeping the master plan as a goal.

Barn behind the house, access to all pastures. Feed, hay and water at the barn, lock them up for the night.

You could lay out the front pastures in a sun ray pattern, on sides and behind barn with a lane down the middle. Keep in mind truck and trailer access!

Your place is the perfect shape for ease of layout and livestock movement.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is this closer? Yellow is the free $300ft of electric. Blue with green shading future house, blue is RV/tiny house, green barns.

Having a little trouble visualizing how to go around pond.
2309 CR 801C_paddockRev2.jpg

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you are getting a better free flow of movement. The back fences now go all the way to the back property line. From experience, if it floods, leaves, sticks and other debris will pile up against the fence and knock it down. Cut the back pastures short, more out of the flood plain, keep the very back fenced on barbed wire for flow of flood waters. You can always pasture a steer in it with a gate left open to a higher pasture for shelter, hay, feed and water.

Not here, but I’ve been over waist deep in flood waters with a leg woven through barbed wire strands to keep from washing away, to loop a rope over a post to keep fence from being totally washed away.

Our house is the free 300’ from the road, if that gives you a better perspective.

You saw how big our yard is. Truck and trailer room, can’t stress it enough. Trailers and tractor parked on other side of the portable building and sheep barn. Need room to pull forward and back trailers in. If you keep to a lane to your house, plan for a tractor and trailer shed behind the house, close to the barn or added on the end of the barn, with ALL WEATHER access. The reason ours are up front, right off the driveway is because the sand gets so soft and deep on the pipeline and around the horse barn, the truck would bury up and get stuck. It would be like trying to drive a truck and trailer over sand dunes.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Always fun to plan....then see what you end up with! 😁 I lived in a tiny trailer while I built here. Sure was glad to get house to point of running water and AC!! Inside wasn't finished but exterior was at that point. Did a lot of own work, so appreciated those amenities while I finished.

When checking soil types. ask about any restrictions it might carry. Here in VA there are some soil types and water holding areas that have conditions relating to water shed issues. Those may be related to use, digging or not, ability to manage that area. My not be so where you are. I once had a farm that made me drive posts, couldn't dig. Talk about $. An overflow flood area and geesh.....in 30 yrs only once did it "flood".….8-10" but about 3 acres. We did know before buying. No pigs allowed on it, for obvious reasons. ;) Plus at rear of otherwise great 50 ac farm.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is this closer? Yellow is the free $300ft of electric. Blue with green shading future house, blue is RV/tiny house, green barns.

Having a little trouble visualizing hoe to go around pond.
View attachment 86734
Post an arial picture with zero lines so I can play with it. :D