Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you talked to your local extension agent?

I think in your area of Texas native pasture runs from 8 acres for a single cow, up to 15 acres for a single cow.
I asked the extension agent when we started property hunt. He said 9 -15 acres per Animal Unit for unimproved pasture.

I don't know if I have improved or unimproved pasture right now. I plan to grid out some 1ftx 1ft squares in different spots and try to identify all the grasses present. I also am going to get soil analysis for the squaresnif I can. Need to check price.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If any of the honey locust is big enough for corner posts. They don’t rot. They do have thorns that will puncture tires. Personally I am not a fan. They seed and sprout all over the place.

Elm trees make good shade.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Huh.... I googled a bit and a nice grass dicotomous key did NOT pop up.

Maybe your local extension office can point you in the right direction.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
🥳🥳🥳 LAND 🥳🥳🥳
We closed on our land today!

Slightly aggog at the amount of money I spent today. 😯 Over half a year's salary on down payment, closing, culvert install fee and culvert.

Next step- deploy the chainsaw, bwahha haha! We will be putting house in paddock 1 per Alaskan's lovely layout. There is a clump of honey locust in the living room. We also have a sapling to take out of new driveway.

Last edited:

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Week 1 Update
- Culvert purchase and install scheduled early next week
- Development permit approved and paid
- Water install permit submitted
- Site walks for mobile home delivery, electric, and septic scheduled next week

We rented a Kubota B231 with brush hog for the day. Got a 1.5hrs in Friday then worked most of the day Saturday. Hubby hogged and I cleared trees. We widened driveways, mowed the spot for the home.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my M18 chainsaw. I DESPISE locust trees. The thorns go thru leather gloves and jeans. I look like I had a cage fight with a porcupine.
Hubby hauling some of my kills to the graveyard.
20210731_121959.jpg
Mowed house site. Unfortunately trailer is too long to fit in clearing closer to corner.
20210731_144545~2.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
CAGE FIGHT WITH A PORCUPINE!!!
:lol: :lol: :th :gig:gig:gig

Thanks for the laugh! I busted out laughing and read it to BJ, he laughed too. We are well acquainted with locust trees, we hate them too.

Y’all hit the ground running! I know y’all must be so excited to FINALLY have room to roam and SOOOO ready to move out of the RV.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats.... from a "new " home owner... got mine a year ago, and have finally got everything here.... definitely not organized or anything and work to do...had ankle in boot and all last year... and now knees not co-operating and they will be replace end of Oct.... so I just don't have to ability to do all that you are as fast as you are and I sooooo envy you.... but next year????
Love the "cage fight with a porcupine" analogy....