Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are 2months old and WILD.The one with white marking rammed tru the wire around bottom of corral and ran around crazy. Bruno was a good boy and sat far back watching the action. They both got a CDT shot. Today or tomorrow will be attempt 2 to weigh and deworm.
20220411_112706.jpg20220411_112641.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we are bringing in new calves/feeders or even cows, we give them 5-7 days to just chill out before attempting much of anything in the way of working them. They are so much more likely to come down with stuff when their systems are so wound up. We do give blackleg right off the trailer as protection... but other vaccs and anything else like worming waits for a few days. You might be better off to just let them chill out a bit and see you are not always going to "do something to them" every time they see you...
They are nice looking... sorry they are so wild...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Feed is a great gentling assistant. Sit down in their lot, that puts you on their level and not towering over them, a scary monster. LOL Every other day sit a little closer to their feed. When you hit that spot where they totally freak out and refuse to eat, back up a little. It may take awhile, but I know you have patience.

They look real nice.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nice looking ewes -- who sure appear to be looking for an escape! 🤭. I'm sure it will work out before long. You'll get them calmed.

Of course these were not born there but I have found that imprinting when born makes a huge difference in their attitude to you later. Even if you can't get to them as much as you'd like, that first couple hours and days makes a real difference when you do need to handle them. Less fear factor.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Last night sucked and today's going to be a mess. We got home from scouts at 7:30pm to discover the tap into the 12" water main for our meter failed. I got completely soaked and covered in mud shutting our water meter valves which did nothing. It's the main line for this side of town so they started work immediatly. Cue trying to sleep thru backhoe noise.
Screenshot_20220420-205044_Photos.jpg

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
That sucks!!! At least they have to deal with fixing it, not you under the house or something.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
So it's almost end of April but....

YEAR 1 GOALS
- Register dBa name
Done
- Farm logo
In Progress
- Transfer Ag Valuation to our name
Applied 🤞
-
Register with Katahdin Hair Sheep International and Scrapies Program
Done
- Sheep herd to 4 ewes
Now 3, probably stopping here so I can buy more bees
- Chickens
In Progress
- Beehives to 5 hives
Last several severe storms knocked over hives. All 3 are dead, starting over. :hit
- Close up front entrance
In Progress, posts and gates are in. Just need to buy and stretch wire.
- Water supply at sheep shed
In Progress, 275gal tote to gravity feed water trough. Can fill up with hoses about once per month.
- Figure out control plan for locust trees
Attended Ag Extension training and have ideas to try
- Clear access path along entire fence line