1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Guess the build... - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Marketing your honey

Discussion in 'Honey Harvest' started by Maggiesdad, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Jul 8, 2015
    Maggiesdad

Maggiesdad Loving the herd life

Time for a new thread!

I'm interested in how you market your surplus - everything from packages to prices to clientele. Let 'er rip!

2. Jul 9, 2015
    Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Loving the herd life

Not enough surplus yet.

3. Jul 10, 2015
    Maggiesdad

Maggiesdad Loving the herd life

A fellow can dream, right?! :D =D

My second nuc is now queenright and full of capped brood...:celebrate so of my best hive, I now have four. I need to make longer TBHs for the two nucs, 'cuz they are gonna be busting with bees soon. They are sitting in 50 acres of soy... first blooms opened just yesterday.

4. Jul 16, 2015
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Maggiesdad likes this.
  5. Mar 15, 2016
    misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan True BYH Addict

We have a local lady here who sells honey sometimes. We have several farmers markets around us within about a 1hr drive. When she sells at the clsest market to us in a small town of about 400 people she makes between $50-$150/day. When she sells in the bigger towns with around 12,000 people she makes between $200-400/day. If she makes the trip down to the eastern market about 4hrs away she makes roughly $400-700/day. So it definately depends on your market on what the surplus honey can make you, she also adjusts her prices based on the market. She however does not diversify. She sells jars of honey and that is it. No comb nothing else just raw honey in a jar. If/when i market honey i plan to market raw honey, honey comb, spun honey, honey soap, and beeswax assuming all of it falls under cottage industry laws for my state, i think it does. I need more research but diversity in products you offer or offering something different then other vendors is always good for sales.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Maggiesdad, Latestarter and Baymule like this.
  6. Mar 18, 2016
    misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan True BYH Addict

I did look like up the law for honey sales and it seems michigan has a honey and maple syrup exemption. It is not covered under cottage food laws but you can sell it retail or wholesale to retailers to sell for you as long as it is labeled correctly. So you may want to check you state.

Sumi likes this.