Marlowmanor~weightloss journal~ *over a new hurdle*

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Here are some stats on me.
Name: Kelly
SAHM to 3 boys, ages 5, 3, and 1 years old.
Current weight 239.0, this is the most I have ever weighed.
Weight I want to get down to: 170
Weight to lose: 68 lbs
Time frame: 1 year, it would be great to lose this weight in 2012.
Plan of action: Eat healthy, cut out sodas, drink more water, start exercising daily, track my weight weekly.

I weigh myself weekly, usually on Saturday nights. I forgot last night and weighed myself this afternoon, only to discover that according to the scale I gained 7 lbs in a week! :ep That is very depressing and I have no clue how I did it. I really did not think I had done that bad this week. I'm a little disheartened right now at that weight gain. But it has also motivated me to get off my big behind and work to get the weight off this year. DH has talked about his need to lose weight too so I am hoping that maybe I can get him on board with some excercising. I want to be able to start walking up and down our road, but as DH mentioned when I told him that I'd need leashes for the oldest 2 boys to make that work! :gig Hopefully I can get him on board with the walking with me and we can walk as a family.

I am really looking for support here. If anyone has good recipes, or simple exercise ideas that can be done indoors (since it is winter, and the weather is supposed to be cold this week finally), or just encouragement I would appreciate it.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
marlowmanor said:
I am really looking for support here. If anyone has good recipes, or simple exercise ideas that can be done indoors (since it is winter, and the weather is supposed to be cold this week finally), or just encouragement I would appreciate it.
The only recipes I have are for diabetic diets, and they stink, the only exercise I do is walking back and forth to the chicken coop and goat pens...I guess that just leaves me with encouragement...
YOU GO GIRL. YOU CAN DO THIS. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You can do it! My biggest pointer I can give is try to get in some lean protein and fiber everyday because it helps keep you full longer and it helps with not wanting to snack too much. I have a terrible time with snacking because I feed my daycare kids breakfast, snack, lunch, and then another snack. It is sooooo hard to not want to grab a handful of everything I am feeding them. I am trying to have yogurt or scrambled eggs in the mornings. Shakes like Slimfast really are a great breakfast too because they fill you up. I try to snack on veggies or fruits to get some fiber for the day. I have been so bad the past 2 days with all the hoiday food. I can't wait until it is gone and out of this house so I can get back on track with my goals. We can lose this weight this year! :hugs

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Here's some ideas for you:

Write down EVERYTHING that you put into your mouth.

If you're used to drinking soda then cutting cold turkey may do you in. How many do you drink a day? Cut it in half for a few weeks, then half again. Add some lemon to your water (or lime or cucumber). I like to add a squirt of lemon (I buy those little bottles) and a packet of Splenda to my water for 0 calorie flavor. Can't drink plain water myself.

A hint I saw on Dr. Oz the other day was to reverse your meals. Don't eat heavy carbs at dinner - eat them at breakfast if you must. Make sure your dinner is protein laden.

Make sure you're taking a vitamin supplement.

Make little swaps in recipes...you can trade oil in baked recipes (cakes) for applesauce, or try yogurt or sour cream.

Use more olive oil.

Keep walnuts and almonds on hand as a snack.

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
welcome to the club, I have been out of town this weekend but I will be in full swing starting tomorrow

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Emily I have already been cutting sodas a lot. Right now I try to only do one soda a day, but I do slip occassionally. I have no problem drinking plain water really. I always keep bottle water in the fridge, I just have to drink it almost exclusively. I have cut out juice recently. I believe I will be doing the WW counting. I just have to look it all up and get it figured out. DH will be trying to lose some weight too (he is thinking about joining the military, and is overweight right now), so I am hoping I can get him on board with helping me with excercising.

Once all the candy is out of this house it will be so much easier! I have been trying to snack more on the overabundance of fruits we have here (oranges, apples, bananas) instead of the chocolate that is also abundant.

redtailgal

Reaction score
HI Marlow! Glad to see that you are joining in.

You've recieved some great advice...slim fast shakes, veggies, water etc. I agree with all of that. I wanted to add that you should pay attention to your sodium intake as well, sodium causes you to retain fluids.....which in turn raise your weight. Also, young women have certain times of the month where they will more than likely gain a couple pounds from water retention and abdominal bloating (sodium also adds to this). Track your cycle, so surprises dont sneak up and frustrate you. Drink a glass or two EXTRA of water when retention may be a problem......adding water to the system will help flush excess fluids out.

You can do this........stick with it, dont make "New Year's Resolution" out of this. Make is a MARLOWMANOR resolution. Do this for YOU.

Your a mom, you DESERVE to feel your best!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Since you've already cut way down on the sodas then just stop buying them and it'll get even easier :)

Make small changes at a time if you can and you'll be more likely to stick with them. Also remember that a habit takes 21 days to develop so if you're gonna exercise then be consistent and then your body will begin to crave it. Same thing with food. Eat a banana everyday with breakfast for 21 days and then see if your body doesn't crave it if you stop.

redtailgal said:
You can do this........stick with it, dont make "New Year's Resolution" out of this. Make is a MARLOWMANOR resolution. Do this for YOU.

Your a mom, you DESERVE to feel your best!
I completely agree with this. I need to lose some too...but I won't jump into right now because it would feel too much like a New Year's resolution to me and I don't do those.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
I've got a question on the WW points. I am trying to figure out how many I can have a day and how to calculate the points. My stepmom has the books but won't lend them out (she has lent them out before to people and not gotten them back). She said I could find all the info online. I have not been able to find the information and we cannot afford to join online. Can someone lead me in the right direction?