Mastiff-hound mix

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@goats&moregoats I agree with you as far as keeping LGDs content they do need the work, and something to protect their charges from - no matter what it is, obnoxious jerks driving by on ATV's, wolves, coyotes, or (fill in the blank). And it helps for their owner to be around so they know they have back up and the owner is invested in what they are doing for them - but there is a saying: "Don't try to keep a 1000 acre dog happy on 10 acres." It's why I don't have my Kangals anymore. They were much too stifled here, and that was with considerable predator pressure, stray dogs, neighborhood jerks and much more work and livestock than I have now. They were always looking out my fences 5 miles down the road... They came off a 100 +acre ranch in MT. That contributed to their discontent. I've found my larger heavier breed LGDs stay content on my smaller acreage. @Southern by choice good point - and the hound/mastiff breeder probably wasn't very worried about where the free pups were going!

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have the option of getting mastiff/hound puppy mix dogs for free. I am also in need of a couple of LGD dogs. Free is worth saving up for! BUT would they make good LGD dogs? I have goats, chickens, & ducks and will be adding cows this year or next. I have 2 acres fenced in, 6ft tall fence. So what do you all think would a mastiff/hound mix make a great LGD? Does anyone else have a mix like this?
I would not use a Mastiff/ hound mix for a livestock guardian dog. You are just asking for trouble and waiting on disaster. A guardian animal is not a place to cut corners whatsoever. You can cut corners with any other aspect of livestock, but not when it comes to the safety of your livestock. You owe it to them to keep them safe.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
2 acres would be pushing it in terms of keeping an LGD content.

I agree with everything except that 2 acres would not be enough acreage to keep an LGD content. We started with 1 1/2 acres and had 2 LGDs just to take care of neighborhood stray dog attacks. Then the coyotes started. Now we have 5 fenced acres and are getting our 3rd LGD because the topography of our property, and the impact of the fires last January, have driven more predators in. 5 coyote packs in place of 1 or 2. Loss of a lamb at night with both Anatolians working non stop. I heard them working all night, and the coyotes drawing them from side to side of the property. It depends on your layout and whether you have had any losses as to whether you need an LGD or not.

That said, cross-breds are only ok for livestock guardian work if they are LGD breed crosses, and even then I would want to know a lot more about their parents. Just because one parent is an LGD doesn't mean that the other genetic half will not be present or any good.

So genetically here is what to expect from these dogs:
Hounds, whether scent or sight, were bred for over 1000 years to hunt and PULL DOWN game. They still have this instinct very strong in their DNA. Yes they can be couch potatoes with the family, but show them some game and they will be off. Hounds are one of the harder breeds to obedience train too. Good luck calling them back once they start chasing one of your sheep or goats.

Mastiffs are not LGDs. They were bred for 1000 to protect large estates from intruders. Some of the earliest ones were bred and trained as war dogs to attack the other troops. While they have been bred to be less ferocious over the years, there are lines that are still aggressive. Also, they will give more size to the hound that will be chasing your sheep or goats.

OK, the owners want to place the pups in a good home. Too bad they didn't ether spay, neuter, or isolate their bitch instead of letting her get bred. Avoid this cross like the plague and save yourself heartache, aggravation, and expense.

By the way Happy 4th everyone!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
BYW, we have also arranged for the breeder to get our dogs back for placement to good working homes if anything happens to us. DS said he would take the dogs but since he might not stay here and keep livestock, I told him that he could keep the oldest dog if it was over 12 but younger dogs needed to go to working families. Just a suggestion about making arrangements for your LGDs.

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would not use a Mastiff/ hound mix for a livestock guardian dog. You are just asking for trouble and waiting on disaster. A guardian animal is not a place to cut corners whatsoever. You can cut corners with any other aspect of livestock, but not when it comes to the safety of your livestock. You owe it to them to keep them safe.
:bow:bow:bow Wish more people had your mindset, @goatboy1973 unfortunately trying to make LGDs out of non-bonafide LGD breeds has become a national pastime :somad with hobby farmers and God save you if you try to argue with them over that, right? :lol: :rant

That and fad-based, "sport" breeding LGDs - binge breeding. Like I've said before, just because you CAN, does not mean you SHOULD. I got a call the other night from some lady I don' know in Ohio begging me for help. It's Monday night 6pm her time, her poor Maremma bitch had one pup at noon that day, but her water broke on Saturday night (she didn't know what that meant, she also didn't know what "teats" were on a dog - God save me...), she probably has a dead pup stuck in the birth canal or - fill in the blanks - and she goes on to say the bitch has stopped having contractions, and gee, what should she do....she has her in a scalding hot barn....I bit my tongue off managed to remain civil (amazing for me, right?) and not chew her a** out and told her get that dog into her vet first thing Tuesday AM. She said she'd call me back. Of course she didn't. :he She has no business breeding LGDs. What irresponsible uncaring animal husbandry! @Ridgetop happy Fourth to you too. Hope you are staying fire-free and cool.