Mastitis Help !!

gem girl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Rescued cow and calf from butcher - only has back two quarters working - one teat looks good and produces over a gallon twice a day - the other not as good and normal looking - when we got her she appeared swollen on that side, we milked it and it was yucky looking went to vet and got Today and used for two days and we were trying to milk her out but got very little - we are getting only appx a quart and less but we did find that her calf was still nursing thru the fence - what would be a good radical treatment to possibly rid her of this - would a milking machine be better than hand milking ??? Thanks

animalfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am not sure from your post, what medication you used. The one that goes in the teat? If the mastitis was untreated for a long while before you bought her, she may lose that 1/4 as well. How old is the calf? If the calf is older, I personally would wean it, and dry the cow up while treating her with injectable pen. to make sure the infection is cleared up before she freshens again. Regardless, I would use the injection if the mastitis is bad. You cannot drink any milk until the withdrawal period is over, but the calf will be ok and if the infection is controlled quickly the calf will help you out. I had a cow whom I thought had lost the quarter but the next year when she freshened, everything was good.

I hand milk so I am not qualified to advise you about the machine. Even if you are getting cottage cheese out of the teat, if you keep cleaning it out, there is a chance to save it. You might only get a little at a time but if you do it as often as possible, it will help.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
How did you make out with your cow? A lot of times the they need to be re-treated, there's also something called Pirsue. Does it just look yucky, or does it smell bad, too? If it smells bad, you'll want to discuss it with your vet. Also be sure to tell your vet that you're willing to dry her off and treat. Hope you have good luck with her! Cricket

Latest posts