Mastitis Help

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
have a doe who kidded about 2 months ago. We are now drying her up due to one of her udders becoming (literally) the size of a 2 liter bottle, low enough it drags the ground and no longer milk but a watery substance, and tender to the touch.

That being said, I know to stop grain. We have her separated with water and hay only diet.

Is there any medication or treatment to help the process to speed this up? She will never be bred again due to her udder issues. I wouldn't do that do her. Just trying to dry her up and get her comfortable.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most feed stores carry products called "today" or "tomorrow" don't remember which...but it's a product you insert into the milk orifice and they are meds for mastitis and drying them up. It comes in applicator tubes, with instructions. You may want to pull a sample of the liquids coming out and have it tested for best meds for the infection. If you have a state lab near, it's pretty inexpensive and you can carry it in yourself. Phone calls should locate them for you.

warm wet compresses will help ease the discomfort and allow you to milk some out to relieve the pressure.

ETA: Are you sure mastitis? Was she nursing kids ok? How long has it been this way? I'm just thinking out loud with not knowing more than basics you posted.

Last edited: