Mastitis in a dry doe

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I am waiting for my vet to call back. He was in surgery so it might be awhile. Pumpkin has mastitis. It is a little strange though. She kidded back in October, we sold one kid on a bottle and retained the other so we bottle fed her too and milked Pumpkin for awhile but decided to dry her off because we were in the middle of finishing the house. She was dry or nearly dry by December.

Today, I went out to do CDTs and hooves on all dairy does and when she got on the stand, I noted her udder seemed slightly still full, barely noticeable really and I only saw it because she was being a PITA about getting her back hooves done.

DH held her and I milked it out---clotted milk, strings, urine colored fluid and blood. I did not smell anything though. I wiped her udder clean and then did the other side too, but it was just like a creamy thick milk, no clots or anything else and not much of it.

Her udder is not hot or hard, she has no fever, acting just fine but there is obviously some infection here.

Any suggestions welcome here as I wait for our vet.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a dry doe did the same thing.
Milk her out and infuse the teat with Today (or Tomorrow) I can't remember which one and what the difference is. I remember I had a thread and put it on there but I can't remember.

And you have to keep milking her out and infusing for a few days to a week.