Mastitis in beef cow

Snowhunter

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
SO we're "caretaking" a friends ranch, with a herd of beef cows on it. I noticed one of the mamas has mastitis. Can't tell if she's got a baby runnin round or not :hu

I've done a search here. Didn't turn up much specifics... I know a little bout cows. I'm more a horse person.

The info I gathered from the search was-milk out the infected teat (yup, thats gonna be fun :rolleyes: anyone got tranquilizer? ) and as far as medicinal treatment, 20cc of penecillin, or something called "today" ? :idunno

help!!!

I appreciate any help yall can give me, Thanks :)

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What makes you think she's got mastitis? Without restraining her and palpating her bag, and milking out the infected quarter(s), it would be nearly impossible to make a diagnosis like that.

Snowhunter

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
What makes you think she's got mastitis? Without restraining her and palpating her bag, and milking out the infected quarter(s), it would be nearly impossible to make a diagnosis like that.
Well, she's got part of her utter swollen, looking about like a bowling ball, she's walkin a bit funny (due to the pain, I'm thinking)

Do I know without a doubt thats what it is? Nope, but, I'm pretty darned sure.

Hubs knows cows, he's been round em all his life, so this afternoon we'll take a ride out to the pasture so I can point it out and we'll go from there.

Just would like to get an idea of treatment, if we go that route

his1911

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
I'm Snowhunters Husband,
actually in my experience as far as beef cattle go, mastitis is generally a fairly easy diagnosis if it's just a teat or two swollen and enflamed that's about a dead giveaway , There's a few other things it could be but 9 outta 10 here that's what it'll be.

Worms and mastitis are common, scours too depending on the grass, I'll chime in with the interesting situations when i get some of them LOL

clarmayfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi there,

Yep, sounds like mastitis. If she is still nursing, a tube of "today" (mastitis treatment) in the teat 3 times (once every three days) will help. After injecting it into the teat, massage the quarter as best you can.

If the cow is no longer nursing, you may want to try a dry cow treatment such as "tomorrow" or Spectromast Dry Cow" - these are oil based and last longer in her udder.

The other thing that really works well is an udder ointment many vets carry...it is made with peppermint oil, and if you can slather it on her 2-3 days, it will take down the inflammation and swelling in many cases. (Uddermint, Uddercomfort are some brands)

Good luck....we unfortunately have been dealing with mastitis in some bred dairy heifers. It stinks.

Bleenie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I had this happen in one of our little beef heifers a few years ago. It was her first calf so she was Very tender because she was so full. Thankfully she was a sweet girl so i was able to get her tied up and work out the hardeded milk plug in the teat and milk it out a whole bunch... Because it was SO full, it actually drained a lot on it's own after i removed the plug, but i still milked it some more afterward so that it wasn't so sore. Luckily she was not infected yet, just swollen and very, very sore. after i did my thing she let the calf nurse and it solved the problem.

Latest posts