Mastitis...UGH!

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, and oregano oil can be injected right into the teet same as you would today tomorrow those kinds of things. Diluted of course. I have done this myself several times with excellent results with 60% oregano oil cut with olive.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will try the cabbage leaves and the cold compresses first. Cold is not hard to do at the barn, warm is a bit harder. I was thinking that hand warmers in a damp towel might be the ticket but cabbage leaves might work to. Can't wait until the new barn has hot water.

I have hot oils; cinnamon, cloves, wintergreen, cajuput, peppermint, and probably all of the rest. I was working on making my own sore muscle rub. I don't feel any cooling sensation in the balm I have left. I know when I used it before it would make my hands tingle so I think it is "dead". I have some of my muscle cream I made left, it is not hot enough for my sore muscles but maybe it will feel good on her udder.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor girl's udder is just tight and hard and compresses don't seem to help much. I got next to nothing out of her. I will go to the store and get some cabbage. I don't have any oregano oil, probably the one oil I don't have, and probably can't find it locally. I will try the health food store though.

@Sweetened ...do I put the cabbage leaves on her warm? Do you think the oregano will help break up the congestion in her udder?

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yup. Warm,.

The oregano oil will treat infection, not congestion. Remember to make sure its diluted or you will need to cut it yourself.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My doe is hanging in there and honestly I am surprised. There is nothing but blood red liquid coming out of her udder and I have a hunch that the antibiotics are not working. Hope that the lab gets results to me tomorrow.

I couldn't find oregano oil but than I remembered that a few years ago I had bought an herbal treatment from Fir Meadow called Udder Blast. So I massaged her udder with it and I infused her udder with it tonight instead of the Today. Hopefully it will do something different because I am having a hard time getting anything out. I will do the cabbage tomorrow. The cold compresses seems to have helped a little but I need to figure out how to keep the warm ones warm at the barn; I put them warm into an ice chest but that didn't stay warm enough. I forgot the hand warmers in town today so maybe tomorrow.

The doe is eating and drinking and doesn't seem ultra depressed but I know that she is in pain. I didn't do Banamine tonight, they can't be on it long term so I am giving her a break. Her doeling is not getting much to eat and she wouldn't nurse off of the other doe tonight but she sure did try and get milk from mom. Guess I am going to have to bottle train her to supplement.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The goat is alive and miserable. I feel so sorry for her. I just can't get the infection mass to break up and come out. I have tried hot, cold...cold, hot. Natural oils, and traditional meds. I have done teat cannulas inserted much further than suggested hoping to break the dam and nothing. I am going back to the store for some hand warmers and some cold packs and I will cook the cabbage. Don't know what else to try.

Have not heard from the lab so I think I am going to switch the udder infusion from Today (cephapirin sodium) to Pirsue (Pirlimycin hydrochloride). I hate just throwing the medicine cabinet at her but my vet won't swap drugs until the culture is done which looks like Monday at this point. So I have some Pirsue so I am going to use it. (Just shoot me).

She's a fighter and she isn't used to being hand milked. This is not fun for either of us.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So sorry Babs :hugs You're doing everything you can for her and I really hope you can get her through this. I don't blame you for doing all you can considering the situation... You have to try.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @Latestarter. I feel pretty useless out there right now and the hours I am spending with her is keeping me pretty busy; not that I'm not already. I have 18 kids to socialize so I can sell them and I am not spending any time with them. I need to hire them a playmate person.