Mastitis...what to do??

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a 1 year old Netherland Dwarf doe who finished weaning her kits about 2 weeks ago, and she was completely dried up until today.
2 days ago I bought a new bale of hay that is full of blessed thistle, stinging nettle and a bunch of other 'lactation-promoting' herbs. I didn't think anything of it when I first got the hay.
But it seems to have done it's job and my doe is completely full of milk and cystic mastitis.

Her kits are done with milk and wont drain it for her and I called the vet and they said that, because it's cystic, I would have to treat it at home and hope it goes away or take her in and surgically remove her mammary glands...which I won't do. If it got to that point I would put her down, I just can't afford a surgery like that :(

I've been putting a hot compress of echinacea and sage on it all day and I read that peppermint leaves help to dry up milk so I gave her a bunch from the garden along with some turmeric powder mixed with honey via syringe to help with inflammation.
And she is pregnant again, due early next month.
Does anyone know of anything at all that I could do to help her?
I love her and she is one of my best mama rabbits...I really don't want to lose her.
If she would adopt orphans that could help, with a tight time schedule between now and next pregnancy you might see if anyone has orphaned cottontails around. Just be warned there are a few illnesses they may bring.