Mastitis!!

Jenn27

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a Mama goat that kidded 48 hours ago. She had two healthy girls. All are doing great except the doe has one udder that swollen, red, and warm. She won't nurse out of that side at all. I tried to put a warm towel on her and massage it to milk it some. No luck. So I bought this injectable stuff for mastitis that was recommended but she can't nurse while on it! She's doing so well. I hate to mess her up but I know mastitis can be dangerous and painful. Help! Are there any other options? Or do I just wrap her udders and give her the meds? It's called cephapirin sodium for cows.

UPDATE: I ended up taking her in. I learned she did have mastitis and that I have to learn how to milk better. lol This was all new to me, though. Thanks so much everyone! Oh and yes...she is just fine!

Last edited:

Jenn27

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you!! I'll check those links out!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You couldn't get any milk out of her?
She could have a plugged orifice
You need to see if you can
But if mastitis then you will have to treat her
You really need to get a culture to see what you are dealing with

Jenn27

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah...I'm gonna take her into the vet. The other side is fine, though, so at least she can nurse them from that one side. I had no problem milking the good side.

Jenn27

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If it is plugged, what can I do from home?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
From my reading: Warm compresses, peppermint salve rub, palpate/massage, you just have to work at it till you get the plug to break free and come out. If her udder is warm and red, that's not a good sign... You really need to do your best to get something out of that teat. If plugged, after the plug releases, it may be clumpy, stringy, bloody, pussy, all that, but you need to keep going and get it out. By my understanding, once you've got it flowing, you'll need to continue to keep her emptied on that side every 4 hours or so and of course she'll need antibiotics.

Grats on the new additions and I hope mamma pulls through! Some of the experts in this have already been tagged and I hope one or more will respond directly. Best of luck, and let us know please.