1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Using Goats to get rid of Mugwort - Discussion Threads
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Mastitis

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Injuries, Diseases, and Cures' started by Sharyl, May 15, 2018.

1. May 21, 2018
    Sharyl

Sharyl Chillin' with the herd

My in laws live in Happy Valley, Ca! We used to live in Redding! Small world :)

Wehner Homestead likes this.
  2. May 21, 2018
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

One of my best friends here lives in Happy Valley and I "met" her about 9 years ago on Back Yard Chickens. It is indeed a small world.

Sharyl and Wehner Homestead like this.
  3. May 23, 2018
    momto6Ls

momto6Ls Exploring the pasture

Sharyl, I'm sorry I missed most of this! I kept hoping someone else had given you help as I read!

Any time my girls seem a little sick with an infection I offer them cloves of garlic right away! Garlic is a natural antibiotic and they usually crunch it right down if they need it. I offer a few cloves twice a day until the problem is resolved. The garlic will actually sweeten the milk as well - BONUS :D =D. It is not toxic - they can have as much as they want!

We have 5 does, also try to keep it natural, and sell the milk - so antibiotics are a last option. It sounds like you were on the right track. Treating naturally ALWAYS takes longer to heal. And yes, sometimes it is miserable. We have had occasion to do exactly what you did - compress, peppermint oil massage. You did great! Give yourself a pat on the back.:thumbsup

You might want to add garlic to your list of options. I won't go without it! If they really need it and won't crunch it down (there is always at least one stubborn girl! Lol) we crush it and give it as a drench.

I think that would have helped to completely take care of the problem with everything else you were doing.

I just want to say again, kudos for all you did to take care of her. Don't let the vet give you a hard time - doing all you can before calling is not wrong! And I hope garlic is helpful in the future!

Sharyl likes this.