Mastitis

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Every year I seem to get a few ewes who suffer with mastitis....always worse when the weather is cold and the lambs suckle hard. This year I have had two so far. The first (mother of Mr Slowroast who was hypothermic and needed to be 'oven warmed') was only found to be present when the ewe came in to the shed with her lamb and was found to have little or no milk. Vet antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and she is back, fighting fit, but without milk. Slowroast is bottle fed entirely.

My second ewe has two big healthy 10 day old lambs. Her lambs were calling and calling to her, but she wasn't responding...then I noticed a dusky area on her udder. She was bought up to the sheep shed and had the same treatment as the first ewe....but with a less good outcome. Her lambs were older....and older lambs often don't take to the bottle. However, the chunky ewe lamb did so right away, not so the ram lamb. 48 hours of struggling, and he learnt the technique. He is now a moderately easy bottle feeder.
Poor mum, though, has not done well. The dusky area spread to a huge black and blistered area. She had stood for 5 days and nights, repelling her lambs from trying to suckle, and eating and drinking poorly.
Today I repeated her painkillers, and an hour later she was lying down. On going over to her, I realised she is dying. I have covered her udder over so that her lambs don't try to suckle. I've offered her water by her muzzle, but she doesn't want to drink. Her head is outstretched.

Call me crazy if you will, but, under these circumstances, I sit with the ewe, stroke their head, and tell them I'll take great care of their lambs. It makes me feel better, anyway. I think she will be dead when I next visit the shed.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
A minor miracle, but she is still with us.

I left her lying on her side in that awful position you find dead sheep in in the field. When I came back later she was breathing quietly and was still stretched out.. Her lambs were snuggled up to her, but took a bottle without too much trouble. Next morning still with us, but didn't eat/drink. In the afternoon I found her standing.

Since then she has had a little water, has pee'd and has been eating sweet biscuits. She is still dreadfully ill, but is hanging on in. (I don't know how).

I plan to see how she goes, giving her regular analgesia, and bottle feeding her lambs.

She is somehow determined to keep going.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hope she makes it, it won’t be for lack of love and care. Knowing you like I do, she will join your flock of retired ladies and live out her days. Give her a long hug from her Aunt Baymule and tell her that I’m sending love from Texas. And no, I don’t think you are crazy, I talk to my animals too. I think they understand.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
How is she doing? Still okay I hope :fl:hugs
Oh, SO much better than I could have ever hoped for.

She is going to lose half of her udder, but the other side is actually working....she is partially feeding one of her lambs.....I'm offering bottles and feeding the ram lamb entirely.

In herself, she is obviously much improved. She's eating and drinking again and is up and about, though still slow.

Here she is .....feeding one of her lambs. In the foreground is Mr Slowroast....he has had joint ill, but has made a full recovery following antibiotics and anti-inflammatories.

Mastitis ewe, slowroast.jpg