Mastitis???

Sophienee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We've just dried our first milk goat off. She's a kinder (Pygmy\Nubian).
Problem is the last milk we got tasted salty, so we milked on more time to check it and it was indeed very salty. I know in a cow this is an early sign of mastitis. With a cow I would just milk, milk, milk and if that didn't clear her up we'd treat with Today, if we were milking, or Tomorrow if we were drying off.

I can't just milk her several times a day as we really can't get much milk out at all. She was really ready to dry off and once we skipped a day she just really dropped to almost nothing, like 1/4c (we were only getting just over a cup a day anyway)

I've read I can use Tomorrow for a goat, but would I use the whole thing for one quarter?

Her udder is NOT red, swollen, or hot.

Thank you for any help. I really am more of a cow person, but one of my twins LOVES her goats, which leaves me learning new animals. LOL

Erin

Sophienee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Anyone? I am thinking I'll give her the ToMorrow. I picked some up yesterday. Would I give the whole thing in each teat?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you done a mastitis test? Are you sure it is mastitis? You can pict up the CMT at Tractor Supply or probably most feed stores. You've done cows so you probably already know that.

I have Nigerians and when my girls get that low, 1/4 c to 1/2 c the milk can get watery and not so good. Doesn't mean anything other than she is stopping production.

The thing to keep in mind with the CMT is goats normally produce more somatic cells than cows and that does not mean mastitis, just means goat. So you want to look for a high positive reaction.

Yes, my understanding is you can use Today/Tomorrow products.

Good luck with your doe, and please keep us posted on the progress.