Mastitis?

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
I haven't had any experience here, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Our cow, Faith, is currently lactating and nursing a calf (we don't milk for human consumption). I was out in the field today when I noticed her udder was kinda swollen in the front. It was almost as though someone had stuck two extra teats in front of the original four, it was that puffy. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'd bring her in and check the quarters. The calf may have stopped nursing on them for some reason or she may have mastitis. If the quarter is hard or hot and the milk has chunks, flakes, or is watery it's mastitis and you will need to treat them.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
There are many mastitis treatments available. Look for them in your local farm supply store or feed mill/store. I would recommend starting with Today.

Strip the affected quarter/quarters out and use a tube of mastitis treatment per quarter/quarters. Infuse it into the quarter and then gently massage the quarter to help spread the treatment. Directions should be on the box and will tell you how often, etc.

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll tell my dad everything you said once he wakes up.

And that could take a

Very...

Very...

Long...

Time.....

I'll keep you posted on Faith's condition!

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
For the organic fan(atic)s out there:
Some say it is possible to cure mastitis with very very frequent thorough milkouts. I mean every two hours for a few days. I'd try it with a mild case. A severe case you may lose the quarter or the cow without antibiotic.
You can also have your vet culture to detect the specific organism causing the mastitis.

In general, most farmers stock and use MissKitty's method and get on with their chores. Backyard farmers far from the feedstore may need to improvise.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
For mild case that does work. We have/do use that method but, if the quarters are swollen, it seems to take the antibiotics.

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
My dad was out there and he said that she looked fine. Although, I don't think he pays particular attention to their udders. I'll see for myself later today. (I would have done it yesterday, except I had urgent business elsewhere)