May rescue a horse...underweight........

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Kitiarra said:
I am posting here. Just cause I am new to the horse world and, I have three horses, one thin rescue. The feeding guidelines on the bags are confusing. They are definitely not like feeding dogs, where I just do a scoop etc. I suck at math, and this 10% of body wieght etc, is confusing for me.

My rescue is a 16hh, paint (whom I think has TB) and I am fighting putting weight on her. My neighbor means well, but if it isn't top of the line feed (pure alfalfa etc) it's not good enough. I put a roll out there for them, so they can forage 24/7 (winter pastures stink). And I plan on supplementing with TnA or OnA, also I have been feeding Seminoles PerformSafe. But am now planning on switching to a senior feed, after all the suggestions you have said.

You guys have put in tons of advice, so I am posting so I can find this thread again. I am excited to try the sunflower seed, and the homemade dewormer trick.

Sorry for stealing the thread, but thank you.
You DIDN'T hijack this thread--your question is topical. Most horses that are average height (14'2hh-16hh, or 58 inches to 64 inches high at the withers) AND are average weight, weigh between 900 pounds to 1100 pounds. The "rule of thumb" is one pound of hay/100 pounds of horse.
Lightweight rectangular bales of hay are about 35-40 pounds each, and heavy bales are 65 pounds each (you can still pick it up!!) to ( I've had a few of these ) over 100 pounds each. Balers bale rectangular bales by picking up the grass and pushing it into what are called flakes. I KNOW you can do the math, there. BUT, more importantly, if you horse is still hungry, increase the number of flakes. If your horse is leaving hay, decrease the number of flakes, unless you truly believe your garden will benefit from soiled hay--I personally see this as my money down the drain!! Horses vary in metabolism--some need more to eat to maintain weight, and some need less. I normally feed 2-3 flakes from a 50 pound bale, twice a day. That means, usually, my two horses share one bale of hay every day between them. IF you strictly weigh your hay, you'll probably end up underfeeding your horses. Watching what they eat, and how they look by daily grooming will tune you in to each individual horses' needs. Along with a Vet check, you'll figure it out!