maybe the end

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So you may know about my loss of rabbits last year,over 12 purebred(most with pedigrees)rabbits which were lops and mini rex's ,and one had won 4 legs in show ..GC!. Well the same dogs that killed them still run loose and animal control wont do anything really here , so I will just hvae to dog proof !

I have 5 huge outdoor pens that the neigbor gave me ,he used for chickens . Well the dogs grabbed the last chicken I had through the wires this past summer ! So how can I fix the pens,I was thinking add some more wire on the sides and bottoms ? They are well constructed pens but dont have flooring(so they can eat grass etc.) .

Before my huge loss I had cages outside,and will NOT be doing that again ! They will be in the building this time,but last time it was being used for storage so couldnt at the time .

And anyone have any cage plans that are mainly wood ?

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How about a perimeter fence (chain link or small sqares), with dog proof gates, around your yard?
Probably want at least 5ft tall, 6ft would be better. Then set up the pens inside that fencing to
contain the animals and birds. Sometimes that is all that will work. Craigslist might find some used
fence at a cheaper price.

Kind of a layering effect of protection.

If located in the country, you ARE allowed to shoot marauding dogs that chase or kill livestock. I would keep that
removal part to myself, just make them disappear. Locally called the Three S program. Sorry about your
local politics and no response. Our local AC is quite responsive to calls.

flemish lops

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss :hugs

This may sound silly but you could try throwing a few chocolate bars out in the yard. Chocolate, I heard, is toxic to dogs and might get rid of them. :idunno

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
flemish lops said:
Sorry for your loss :hugs

This may sound silly but you could try throwing a few chocolate bars out in the yard. Chocolate, I heard, is toxic to dogs and might get rid of them. :idunno
Well my pitbull ate a hershey bar when she was a pup and lived lol and thank you . :hugs

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
goodhors said:
How about a perimeter fence (chain link or small sqares), with dog proof gates, around your yard?
Probably want at least 5ft tall, 6ft would be better. Then set up the pens inside that fencing to
contain the animals and birds. Sometimes that is all that will work. Craigslist might find some used
fence at a cheaper price.

Kind of a layering effect of protection.

If located in the country, you ARE allowed to shoot marauding dogs that chase or kill livestock. I would keep that
removal part to myself, just make them disappear. Locally called the Three S program. Sorry about your
local politics and no response. Our local AC is quite responsive to calls.

Well I have a fence but they jump it and find ways ,plus the back hillside/mountain isnt all the way fenced because it would take too much to fence it all . They are supposed to have the dogs on chains but they are still out runing around ,one dog almost bit me in the snow and theya re always attacking my outside dog .

Well the one who gave me the pens shot some dogs because of the same problem . But when something happens around here ,word spreads and owners get mad . Our AC is over an hour away and wont make the trip just to pick up a dog or leave a trap .

one person left a dog here to have 4 litters of pups,took a year for them to come get her,the pups and some male dogs with her !

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I found a role of chicken wire the other day for $8 at the local store,would that work ? The pens are made of wire that looks like rectangles,i dont know the name but I can take pics tomarrow and post .

I hate to keep them in the building at all times but looks like I may have too . If so I will need new hutches :hit i miss the lops so much ,and all that money wasted . :rant

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
bluemini said:
I found a role of chicken wire the other day for $8 at the local store,would that work ? The pens are made of wire that looks like rectangles,i dont know the name but I can take pics tomarrow and post .
No, chicken wire does not work for anything other than containing chickens. It won't contain a rabbit, and certainly won't keep dogs out.

You're probably talking about chain link fence. It works well for keeping dogs' BODIES out, but it is possible for a dog to reach it's paw through and potentially reach a rabbit that way. And chain link fencing holes are too big to keep a rabbit in. You do have to be careful that almost every place the chain link touches the top and bottom rails, it is tied to those rails. It only takes about 4 in a row that aren't tied to the rail for a strong or smart dog to untwist the chain link and get through it.

When I lived in an area with loose dogs, I set up a chain link dog kennel, and put hardware cloth hutches inside it. The chain link kept dogs out of the area, the hardware cloth hutches kept the rabbits in. The dogs in my area weren't good jumpers, but if your area has jumpers, you can get some extra chain link (or anything solid like corrugated tin) to create a roof.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
what about building a fenced in area around your cages and running hot wire low to the ground and at the top, on the outside of it. In our area, inorder to garden you pretty much have to do this to keep raccoons and deer out, or you would never have a garden.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just shoot the dogs! Catch them and take them far away and dump them at another county's pound.

You need to make a chain link yard and put the cages in that. CL has all sorts of stuff for cheap.

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
what about building a fenced in area around your cages and running hot wire low to the ground and at the top, on the outside of it. In our area, inorder to garden you pretty much have to do this to keep raccoons and deer out, or you would never have a garden.
I have to agree with 20kidsonhill. I think that a hot wire would be best. Then that way, they are protected from any other predators as well. Also, the dogs will get a nice surprise the next time they try to get one of your bunnies. I am sorry for your loss, it's a hard thing to deal with. We lost all our chickens to a neighbors dog, and they said it wasn't their dog that did it. Nothing could be done. :hugs Hope you get it worked out.