Mchaos acres 2017 kidding thread

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear :(
When my sheep start passing the placenta, the first part has a weird umbilical cord look to it. The hormones caused by a kid/lamb nursing helps them pass the placenta - since she won't have that, keep an eye on her and call your vet if she doesn't pass it by tomorrow - a retained placenta can cause a serious infection.

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry to hear :(
When my sheep start passing the placenta, the first part has a weird umbilical cord look to it. The hormones caused by a kid/lamb nursing helps them pass the placenta - since she won't have that, keep an eye on her and call your vet if she doesn't pass it by tomorrow - a retained placenta can cause a serious infection.
that is what i am worried about. we are watching her closely. what looked like umbilical cord earlier, now looks more like thick, bloody, mucus. I am totally bummed, but I am not sure what we would have done with no colostrum for the kid. everything is closed so i can't even go buy a colostrum replacer.

Sunny Searle

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Too bad, hope Oreo does better! Hopefully we both have our kids soon! Hope that they are healthy! Keep us updated, love ya Mom! I will let you know if anything changes with Lickaroo and Lucy. I hope we can both be there when everyone goes!