Mchaos acres 2017 kidding thread

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oreo's ligaments are nearly gone, especially on the right side. It is just a waiting game. At least there is no school again tomorrow, so all of my helpers are around if I need them!

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Will she let you milk her at all?
She has no milk at all. That's one reason we didn't think she was bred. All of the other girls are due at roughly the same time. Grammy hasn't developed a bag at all, not before the delivery, or since.

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Nope. She is really playing out this doe code thing. Two days ago her ligs were softening. Yesterday, they were easy to find and firm. My daughter's (sunny Searle) goats haven't gone either. I think we are way too excited and anxious. A large part of the anxiety comes from the weather. When it's not snowing/sleeting and blowing, it is single and below zero temps. We are both pretty worried about missing a delivery and having frozen kids.
I will leave you with an old midwifery addage:. " The fruit will fall when it's ripe."

Of course it doesn't address how nuts you are by the time said fruit falls!

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A mid spring kidding sounds great. That is what we will shoot for next year

Calendula

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Good luck! I'm sorry to hear about what happened with your other doe, Grammy. :(

Is Oreo the only other doe you have due this spring?

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have 4 boer does, 3 are bred, and Grammy's girl from last year. We think she is bred, but she is in with a young buck, so we are not 100% sure that he has done his job. Our next girl, Cupcake, should kid on or around april 24. She was hot to trot the day we put them in with the buck.
While the other girls explored the new pasture, she gave Bucky a come hither look and they became instant sweethearts! Once again, we are less than clear on dates for the rest. We will be spending the end of april and probably all of May playing the waiting game.
Next year we are hand breeding for sure!

Reactions: TAH

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oreo is still holding out. She is such a tease. This morning her ligs were softer than they have been. However, tonight they are firm and easy to find. Ugh.
I had a bit of a run in with our yearling buck, Captain Jack. Apparently, he is the king of his pasture, and wanted to be sure that I know it. After dodging his thrashing horns, I grabbed a front and a back leg and threw him on his side, then I knelt on him until he calmed down. All this while wearing my ugly house dress, no less. It's always an adventure here at McHaos acres!