McMaster's method type of slide

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have read a lot of articles about doing the McMaster's Method fecal test and we are looking for a kit. We see the 2 chamber slides offered in green or opaque but didn't see anything about that in the articles.

Does it make any difference which one is used?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I prefer the green- it is easier o see... or even blue. The opaque is hard to see.

two chambered is the one you want-

I prefer Chalix from vet slides... the kit contains 2 of everything and will last you forever.
Quality items and comes in a case for easy storage.

Also- use the sugar solution not the salt!
Sugar solution is the best medium to use- it will not crush certain eggs as the salt will and the salt will ruin your slides over time.
The sugar is very precise and has proper weight without needing a centrifuge.

It is really nice having two- because you can be running one and setting up another-
We actually have (4) LOL
http://www.vetslides.com/paracount-epg-fecal-analysis-kit-with-mcmaster-type-counting-slides

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
LOl your welcome- I just hopped on.

The sugar solution is very easy-

12 oz water- bring to just about a boil
add 1lb sugar
stir til dissolved
let cool
store in a good tight container- you can refrigerate

You can make a half batch if you won't be using much-

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have the blue ones. The blue lines are gradually chipping away, so you'll eventually have to draw over the lines with a fine sharpie to make them complete.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mike- will you be running fecals on your sheep? I think this is awesome! I don't see many sheep owners do this, I think it's awesome that you are being this thorough.

I have been taking random samples to the vet on sheep that I think might have issues but decided I could monitor more cost effectively if we learn to do our own. I spend a lot of time with them and they let me check them out but I would rather be able to be more efficient and take some of the guesswork out of it.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have the blue ones. The blue lines are gradually chipping away, so you'll eventually have to draw over the lines with a fine sharpie to make them complete.

Where did you get the Blue ones from?
What solution are you using?

The only thing we have had to replace with the Chalix brand are the 1 ml syringes- which are easy to come by.
Oh... recently I knocked over one of our beakers... have to replace that. :\

@Mike CHS I think it's the smartest investment any goat owner or sheep owner can make. It is simple to learn, you can check any animal at any time... target problem animals, make sure of what you have before doing anything. Love that you are doing this.