meat grinders

stonygarden

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm fairly new here but I've been lurking for a while. I'm new to chickens and rabbits but I've been doing a lot of research and have learned a lot. I'm hoping to get everything set to start breeding my rabbits within the next month or so. Now I'm starting to research how to process and prepare rabbits. So, I am researching meat grinders before I purchase one. I am looking for a manual grinder since I really just have bad luck with small electric appliances. I have looked at Wal-Mart, bass pro, and amazon and I am finding that every single grinder has extremely mixed reviews (1 star reviews to 5 star reviews).

I would use the grinder for chicken, rabbit, and possibly venison. Anything I grind would be both for my family and my dogs. I'm hoping to use it quite a bit between the rabbits and chickens and possibly some venison. Ground anything is easier to feed to the dogs and is easy to make burgers, meatballs, etc.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

lacasse farms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I just picked up a couple of old unused ones at a flea market. I'm not quite sure of the name as they are packed away because we are moving. But i always pick up nice old kitchen and food processing equipment at the flea markets. The stuff is built to last, easy to use and no cheap crap to break on it. sorry i cant give you a name brand or anything but the flea market is a great place to find good ones for short money. i paid $15 for two of them. Good luck.

Harbisgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My mom got one from Cabellas. It was expensive - like $400 - but it is AWESOME. All metal, hand crank. Very heavy. I'll try to find out the make/model and get back to you

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
We've used a Nesco Professional food grinder that works well and does a good job, you have to take your time and feed it slowly when processing rabbit. We also have a old metal hand grinder but haven't tried it yet.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I use a kitchen aid with grinder attachment. Have been using it for the last ten years. Its great.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
We have both an old metal hand crank grinder and the kitchen aid grinder attachment. I like them both.

Bitterroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Good deal! I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a grinder as well, and it's nice to know the kitchenaid does a decent job. Time to put my mixer to work doing things other than making breads and sweets.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Not as often as I use the old hand crank. There's just something very satisfying to me about running the meat through a hand crank grinder. I tend to use the Kitchen Aid attachment when I'm adding other things to the meat to make sausage.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to BYH Stonygarden! My mom had a hand meat grinder that clamped on the end of the counter that worked well, but that was ages ago.