Meat rabbit care

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey all I have a handful of meat rabbit questions:
1) do you trim their nails? What about Breeders?
2) if you have grumpy does that charge and bite what do you do about it? (My ideas range from trying to befriend them to just culling them)
3) do you try to socialize your Breeders by petting them, free time, etc?
4) if a doe has a small litter her first time do you give her another chance?
5) what age do you put kits out in a tractor to graze?

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t have rabbits anymore, but info is based on years of first-hand experience :)

1. Yes, only the breeders as the young ones should be grown out long before their nails are.
2. I would never keep aggressive breeders. Temperament always matters to me regardless of what the progeny is going for.
3. Yes. Handling is necessary for breeding, basic care, and I always wanted my does comfortable with me and my scent for their/mine/the kits safety.
4. Three strike rule.
5. As soon as they’re weaned and have had time to adjust to greens. Going straight from pellets/mom/hay to fresh grass can cause bloat/digestive distress/death, so be sure to introduce new food gradually.

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
2. I would never keep aggressive breeders. Temperament always matters to me regardless of what the progeny is going for.
So we have these 2 Californian sisters that we’ve had since they were 1 month old. They and our other mixed Flemish Breeders were all born in May 2019. All the Flemish mixes are super quiet and sweet but the 2 Californians are snarky and charge at us.
One seems to be fear based and the other aggression. They’ve gotten worse over the past few months as they had their nails trimmed, got separated from each other (into side by side cages where they still lay beside each other, just can’t fight or chase anymore), and attempted breeding them with mixed results (both resisted in attempt one and the aggressive one still refused when we tried again).
My boyfriend “assisted” the daddy rabbit by holding her so we don’t know if either or both are pregnant yet.
I’m leaning to keeping the scared one because that’s a lot of change that could be stressing her out and she may come around. But the aggressive one I’m done with but my boyfriend wants to see if she has a litter and how big it is before we decide 🙄

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
2) if you have grumpy does that charge and bite what do you do about it? (My ideas range from trying to befriend them to just culling them)

Yes and as needed.
Cull
At times.
Yes....small litters for first timers is pretty normal.
When they are weaned.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
So we have these 2 Californian sisters that we’ve had since they were 1 month old. They and our other mixed Flemish Breeders were all born in May 2019. All the Flemish mixes are super quiet and sweet but the 2 Californians are snarky and charge at us.
One seems to be fear based and the other aggression. They’ve gotten worse over the past few months as they had their nails trimmed, got separated from each other (into side by side cages where they still lay beside each other, just can’t fight or chase anymore), and attempted breeding them with mixed results (both resisted in attempt one and the aggressive one still refused when we tried again).
My boyfriend “assisted” the daddy rabbit by holding her so we don’t know if either or both are pregnant yet.
I’m leaning to keeping the scared one because that’s a lot of change that could be stressing her out and she may come around. But the aggressive one I’m done with but my boyfriend wants to see if she has a litter and how big it is before we decide 🙄
Ah. If she could be bred, I would keep her that long, but once kits were weaned she’d be done for around here. Bad temperaments are often passed down. Breed the best...eat the rest ;)

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
While companion rabbits are capable of living for 10 to 15 years, they kill the vast majority of "meat" rabbits at age three. Such baby rabbits, referred to as "fryers," weigh just 1.5-3.5 pounds. At 8 months old, or 4 pounds, a small percentage is slaughtered; they are known in the industry as "roasters."

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
1. Nails need trimmed every 6-8 weeks
2. Some does are not grumpy if bred vs open....I tolerate some moodiness but not aggression to the point I need or have to wear gloves every time. If your does don't settle some when bred I agree just cull. I do not tolerate grumpy bucks.
3. Handling the breeders on a regular basis for more than breeding or nail trims is a good thing, something I don't do enough of. They are much more receptive and friendly if they're used to you.
4. generally many breeders give the does 3 strikes rules on litters, many times the first time is just "practice" and does improve on live kits the 2nd time. A doe that had 4 kits consistently vs 8 to 10 ISN'T a bad thing if she's bred with does that have the 10+ litters as she could foster the extras and still keep up the production. 8 seems ideal in my opinion for larger breeds. If she only has 1 or 2 consistently then you'll probably want to cull. If all does are having small litters you may need to look at the buck.
5. we don't use tractors nor do I anticipate using them... I do have a couple pets outside in a run but they are pets. I would worry about losing more kits to cocci or diarrhea in a tractor situation. I do give greens to all rabbits but in a limited amount and I can throw out any weeds that may cause problems.

FYI We raise mostly purebred show bunnies. Started last year with a New Zealand doe for my son's 4H meat pens. We kept a doe from the litter we had last year and just last week got a NZ buck for the big girls. The still are for the meat pen production but we plan on processing them this year. He "sold" them at auction but then the buyer sent them on home. We have a 30 hole rabbitry. 5 years in with my kids and did 10 years of 4H rabbit project myself.
Good luck with your venture.

TaylorBug

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know you have plenty of answers, but I wanted to give my two-cents....
1) Young ones' nails are soft and if you're butchering them at market weight, they shouldn't get too long. All adult rabbits, however (especially breeders), must get their nails trimmed to avoid discomfort or injury to them, you, and babies.
2) If it were to come down to it, a doe that was aggressive would most likely be culled from my program. I do have a doe (who was my first breeder, so I'm a bit partial to her) who is a bit grumpy, but not aggressive. If she was aggressive, that would be a problem.
3) Yes yes yes!! You do NOT want a doe who is grumpy and dislikes being handled. The more you handle her, the calmer she will be around you and will trust you more with her kits. Also, a calmer doe will be easier around mating time.
4) Most does will have a smaller litter the first time, then by the second or third time they will produce full size litters. However most breeders apply the three strikes rule- three small litters and she's culled.
5) I never graze my animals, because an excess of greens (especially when they aren't used to anything that rich)can give rabbits diarrhea and even kill them- especially babies. Sometimes, they do get a handful of grass or clover, but I generally don't graze my rabbits.

promiseacres has some good advice, and that's how I feel on the matter. Other raisers will have wonderful advice that will vary from each other, and you will learn from experience as well. Good luck with your bunnies!

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know you have plenty of answers, but I wanted to give my two-cents....
1) Young ones' nails are soft and if you're butchering them at market weight, they shouldn't get too long. All adult rabbits, however (especially breeders), must get their nails trimmed to avoid discomfort or injury to them, you, and babies.
2) If it were to come down to it, a doe that was aggressive would most likely be culled from my program. I do have a doe (who was my first breeder, so I'm a bit partial to her) who is a bit grumpy, but not aggressive. If she was aggressive, that would be a problem.
3) Yes yes yes!! You do NOT want a doe who is grumpy and dislikes being handled. The more you handle her, the calmer she will be around you and will trust you more with her kits. Also, a calmer doe will be easier around mating time.
4) Most does will have a smaller litter the first time, then by the second or third time they will produce full size litters. However most breeders apply the three strikes rule- three small litters and she's culled.
5) I never graze my animals, because an excess of greens (especially when they aren't used to anything that rich)can give rabbits diarrhea and even kill them- especially babies. Sometimes, they do get a handful of grass or clover, but I generally don't graze my rabbits.

promiseacres has some good advice, and that's how I feel on the matter. Other raisers will have wonderful advice that will vary from each other, and you will learn from experience as well. Good luck with your bunnies!
Thank you! I appreciate your detailed answers 😊

Latest posts